Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Browser problems in home network

• Please log in to reply

hendrikc1

hendrikc1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all you Geeks to Go,

Here is my first post ever!

I have a small network at home (2 pc's). Until recently no problems at all when surfing with either one of them.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that I could not connect to certain sites (e.g. www.msn.com, www.microsoft.com, ...) from one of the pc's, while I could reach them from the other pc.

Tried to disable firewall, did a opconfig /release and /renew; even a /flushdns, ... and so on.

So, I hope one of you guys and/or girls can help me out here. I am sure that in order to help, you probably need a lot more information. So please shoot.

Setup:

Cable connection to one pc (I'll call it server) and one other pc (I'll call it client)
connected to the server.

STRANGE thing is that when I disconnect the server from the cable modem and connect the Client to it, I can reach all sites I try!

SW running on Server:
XP Pro (Internet connection sharing enabled in order to connect the client)
Norton Internet Security 2005

SW running on Client:
XP Pro
Norton Internet Security 2005

The network is set up with the XP wizard and has been working just fine for quite some time. The only thing I had to change was the reference to the automatic configuration script on the Server.

Thanks in advance,

Advertisements

merlin811

merlin811

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
look at your firwall settings on the "server" pay particular attention to advanced and IMCP settings see if thats not the problem...Good luck :tazz:

hendrikc1

hendrikc1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the tip. However I already switched off the filrewalls altogether with the same bizarre result. Come to think of it; if it woudl be the firewall of the server wouldn't the problems occur for every site? I was actually thinking in the direction of a dns problem since I have to use a configuration script from my isp. This seems to work when directly connected to the internet as I tried before with the client, but seems to give probs when connected to the server. I also tried without the configuration script on the client, again same result. Since I don't know too much about the whole DNS thong; I may be completely wrong. The only thing I see is that the result of an ipconfig /displaydns is different when using the configuration script or not.

Well, maybe this brings you or somebody else to some brilliant idea as how to solve this. In either case, thaks for the reply.