Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Browser problems in home network


  • Please log in to reply

#1
hendrikc1

hendrikc1

    New Member

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey all you Geeks to Go,

Here is my first post ever!

I have a small network at home (2 pc's). Until recently no problems at all when surfing with either one of them.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that I could not connect to certain sites (e.g. www.msn.com, www.microsoft.com, ...) from one of the pc's, while I could reach them from the other pc.

Tried to disable firewall, did a opconfig /release and /renew; even a /flushdns, ... and so on.

So, I hope one of you guys and/or girls can help me out here. I am sure that in order to help, you probably need a lot more information. So please shoot.

Setup:

Cable connection to one pc (I'll call it server) and one other pc (I'll call it client)
connected to the server.

STRANGE thing is that when I disconnect the server from the cable modem and connect the Client to it, I can reach all sites I try!

SW running on Server:
XP Pro (Internet connection sharing enabled in order to connect the client)
Norton Internet Security 2005

SW running on Client:
XP Pro
Norton Internet Security 2005

The network is set up with the XP wizard and has been working just fine for quite some time. The only thing I had to change was the reference to the automatic configuration script on the Server.

Thanks in advance,
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
merlin811

merlin811

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
look at your firwall settings on the "server" pay particular attention to advanced and IMCP settings see if thats not the problem...Good luck :tazz:
  • 0

#3
hendrikc1

hendrikc1

    New Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Merlin,

Thanks for the tip. However I already switched off the filrewalls altogether with the same bizarre result. Come to think of it; if it woudl be the firewall of the server wouldn't the problems occur for every site? I was actually thinking in the direction of a dns problem since I have to use a configuration script from my isp. This seems to work when directly connected to the internet as I tried before with the client, but seems to give probs when connected to the server. I also tried without the configuration script on the client, again same result. Since I don't know too much about the whole DNS thong; I may be completely wrong. The only thing I see is that the result of an ipconfig /displaydns is different when using the configuration script or not.

Well, maybe this brings you or somebody else to some brilliant idea as how to solve this. In either case, thaks for the reply.
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP