Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

neither task manager nor regedit nor gpedit working [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
What kind of files do you have on your external hard disk? Are they just things like pictures, videos, and documents or do you have some programs on there as well?

Advertisements

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
well i have mostly pictures videos and audio. but there are software files(installers).
all are setup files. some are WD apps, others are idm,skype,google chrome etc.

Edited by tekkanphan, 05 June 2013 - 11:46 PM.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Installers are typically .exe files so we will need to scan them. There are specific scan instructions for scanning just the removable drives on a computer, but I will need to run those past my instructor before I post them.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
mcshield scans the usb drives doesn't it?

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
It does. I need to make if we need to run SalityKiller on the USB's or if McShield is sufficient.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
o.k

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
You will need to run this on your external drive.

• Download and unpack the file SalityKiller.exe in the root of disk C:\.
  • Press Win+R key sequence.
  • In the new window copy and paste the following:
  • C:\SalityKiller.exe -r -l C:\salitykillerlog.txt
  • Click OK button.
  • A reboot might be required after disinfection.

Post the log located at C:\salitykillerlog.txt with your next reply.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
but where is the external hdd involved in the above process(you said i have to run this on my external hdd)

Edited by tekkanphan, 06 June 2013 - 07:34 AM.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
The part of the command "-r" tells it to just scan removable drives that are plugged into the computer.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
im getting the following error messages as i try to extract sality killer

! C:\salitykiller.zip: Cannot create SalityKiller.exe
! Access is denied.
! C:\salitykiller.zip: Cannot create eula.txt
! Access is denied.

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Try to download a fresh copy of SalityKiller and see if it will extract properly.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no,again the same problem.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Do you have access to another computer that is not infected?

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
no.this is my only computer

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
It appears that the infection is preventing the tool from properly running. Unfortunately that means we are at the point where it is necessary to reformat your computer since you do not have access to another computer to download tools. Here are instructions for using HP Recovery Manager to reformat you computer. Once the computer is reformatted BEFORE you get ready to copy over any files from your external drive we will make sure it is completely disinfected.

• Create copies of any important data that you want to make sure not to lose. Consider storing important data on an external hard drive, a jump drive, CDs, DVDs, or any other storage device. You will have an opportunity to backup data later in the process, but in case something goes wrong, you will want to have a backup for peace of mind.
  • Click "Start" to open the Start menu.
  • Select "Recovery Manager" from the list of available programs. Click on the "Recovery Manager" file. The HP Recovery Manager program will open up in the middle of your screen.
  • Select "Advanced Options" in the lower left-hand corner of the HP Recovery Manager menu.
  • Select the circle to the left of "System Recovery" and click "Next." The program will automatically restart your computer. When your computer has finished restarting, Recovery Manager will re-open automatically.
  • Select the "System Recovery" option and click "Next." If your computer prompts you to use Microsoft System Restore, choose "No."
  • Select "Back up your files first" and click "Next." Follow the Recovery Manager instructions to make sure any important files you have on your computer are restored after your hard drive is formatted. When you are done, click "Next."
  • Select "Recover without backing up your files" and click "Next." The formatting process will get underway, and all information with the exception of what you backed up will be deleted.

NOTE:
  • If you go into "My Computer" on your HP laptop, you will notice two hard drives. The second hard drive is your HP Recovery Drive. Do not tamper with this drive. This is where the information is stored to make it easy for you to return your HP laptop to its original settings.
  • Formatting your hard drive will erase all of your information and return your computer to its original factory settings.
  • You cannot stop the format process once it is initiated.