Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

neither task manager nor regedit nor gpedit working [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
it is not happening the system rstarts after step 5 but nothing happens afterwards.

i've also tried to do the procedure by using F11.that wouldn't work either. the system starts normally and recovery manager doesnt open.

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Let's check and see if the partition is active or not.

Step 1: Right-click "My Computer" and click "Manage"
Step 2: Go to "Disk Management"
Step 3: Right-click the Drive that says "Recovery Partition" and click "Mark Partition as Active"

If the drive already says it is active let me know, otherwise, you should be able to reboot and use F11 to enter the recovery console.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
it says Active primary partition.
i'm not still able to do the formatting though,still same problem. neither f11 nor the hp recovery is working

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Unfortunately without a clean computer to access to download tools, and being unable to access the recovery partition, the only option left is to order recovery CD's directly from HP. You can order those here. When you get the disks and are able to reformat the computer please, please make sure that you download an antivirus before you do anything else. This is a severe infection that could have easily been stopped by most antivirus programs.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
can i create a ubuntu os on a bootable pendrive and use that if my system fails?

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts

can i create a ubuntu os on a bootable pendrive and use that if my system fails?

Since the SalityKiller.zip file would not extract I don't know that Ubuntu files would properly download and be able create the pen drive on your computer with the current infection. If you can access another computer (friends, family members, a public library), I can post instructions to create a bootable USB that we can use to attempt to clean your computer.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
interesting... my computer has drastically slowed up.Task manager and regedit have disappeared again... but now i could extract sality killer

Edited by tekkanphan, 08 June 2013 - 12:16 AM.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Since you were able to extract Sality Killer, you have the option to run Sality Killer on your computer. There is still no guarantee that the system will be usable after the runs. If even one file is missed in the disinfection, the virus will come back, so it is still recommended to reformat your computer and reinstall Windows.

With either choice it is recommended that you backup any important files that you do not want to loose. Do NOT save any program executables, as they carry a copy of the virus and will just reinfect your new system.

• Make sure that SalityKiller.exe is saved in the root of disk C:\.
  • Press Win+R key sequence.
  • In the new window copy and paste the following:
    C:\SalityKiller.exe -l C:\salitykillerlog.txt
  • Click OK button.
  • A reboot might be required after disinfection.
  • Download the file Sality_RegKeys.zip.
  • Unpack the file Sality_RegKeys.zip (using WinZip).
  • Run the file Disable_autorun.reg from the archive Sality_RegKeys.zip.
  • Click Yes to confirm adding the information to the registry.
  • Post the log located at C:\salitykillerlog.txt with your next reply.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
cant i first clean my hard disk first so it could not affect the new system? since there is no guarantee that system will be usable after the usage of sality killer on C drive and as i do not have recovery cd's. i think it is better to format the system by some way rather than use sality killer.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts

cant i first clean my hard disk first so it could not affect the new system? since there is no guarantee that system will be usable after the usage of sality killer on C drive and as i do not have recovery cd's. i think it is better to format the system by some way rather than use sality killer.

Sality Killer will not format the system. It will attempt to remove all of the infection from the system. When doing so, if system files are infected and removed, it can cause the system not to boot, thus the reason why there is no guarantee.

A complete reformat will get rid of the infection without using Sality Killer, but after reformatting you need to be sure to get an antivirus on the computer immediately and we will need to make sure all of the files on your removable media (USB's, external drives) are free of infection.

Advertisements

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
so which option is better?

1)format first and get antivirus and disinfect the external hard disk

2)disinfect the hard disk and format the laptop

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts

so which option is better?

1)format first and get antivirus and disinfect the external hard disk

2)disinfect the hard disk and format the laptop

If you are going to format the hard drive anyways, go ahead with your first option.

If you'd like to attempt to disinfect and use formatting as a backup option if the system becomes unbootable, option 2.

There are cases that SalityKiller can disinfect and get rid of the infection. There are cases that it the infection is so extensive it is unable to do so without removing system files, making the computer unbootable that is why we have to advise you of the potential risk of running the tool to remove the infection.

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
my problem is if by chance some important files get deleted and system doesnt boot after using the sality killer. i cannot format the system as i dont have cd's... So i will try to format it now.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
If you are able to format the computer here are two of the antivirus programs that I recommend. Both are FREE. Please remember that you can only have one Antivirus installed at a time.

Avast! Antivirus
Microsoft Security Essentials

tekkanphan

tekkanphan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
i formatted it using the recovery discs i made long long ago. :thumbsup:
since i have formatted it. i got a free 60 daytrial norton internet security .should i continue with it?
and now what about my external hard disk, it may still have that salinity virus and others probably.