Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardware failure?

• Please log in to reply

Gamachan

Gamachan

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello geeks2go, I am so frustrated with my machine right now...

Every time I turn it on, it just pauses. Bought this laptop from iBuypower.com
I already reinstalled my windows 7 because i thought it would resolve it but nope.

Here is my System info... and Im gonna try to upload a video so u guys would see what Im talking about.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JAY-PC
System Manufacturer MSI_NB
System Model CZ-17
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. E1762II1.30O, 8/15/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name Jay-PC\Jay
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.90 GB
Available Physical Memory 5.55 GB
Total Virtual Memory 15.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 13.3 GB
Page File Space 7.90 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Gamachan

As you have done a fresh install of the OS it could be the performance of the HDD itself;

Run the HDDs diagnostics tool;
Make sure you select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Depending on the program it'll create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.
If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

Let us know the results please.

Gamachan

Gamachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, thanks for reply.

Im running an extended test right now. I'll let you know when its done :D

Gamachan

Gamachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok i attached the result... I hope i got the right one because both of my hdd passed lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• Result.PNG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Good news that the HDD is ok :thumbsup:

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25271813

Gamachan

Gamachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi Sorry for the late reply. Here is the link http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25345061

As what the fix said i removed all my password.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No worries Gamachan we all have other things going on such as myself being in work for the next couple of hours.

Thank you for the url I will check it as soon as I finish work in a couple of hours :thumbsup:

Gamachan

Gamachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thats true :D
Take your time, i appreciate that you are helping me!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello Gamachan

The PCPitstop test is not showing anything that would cause you any problems with slow start up times or pauses.

One entry that I did note was BitTorrent, can I ask whether or not you are aware of the risk of malware attack when downloading torrents, I can only check to make sure that you are aware of the risk and nothing more :thumbsup:

Bit of a list of tasks for you to do now if you will refer to my canned text below please;

My next suggestion is to tidy up the data on your HDD so please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> RUN
type MSCONFIG in the RUN box
then click OK

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your AV software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

Gamachan

Gamachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Ok, i ran everything and attached the file

Attached Files

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the log which does not show anything that would cause the OS to pause.

How is the computer behaving now.

As an asides try turning off the gadget bar if it is enabled http://www.thewindow...sidebar-gadgets

Gamachan

Gamachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
HI, My laptop runs pretty smooth when it logs on.
It's just when I turn it on for the first time of the day thats when it pauses.
It doesnt pause after restarting.
And i turned off the gadgets like what you said.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Running out of ideas I`m afraid :(

Your PCPitstop results place the computer in the top 6% for performance so I am at a loss, how long is the pause.

A suggestion that I found online;

Your computer loads a lot of drivers when it first starts up, some of which you might not even use. Head into the Device Manager from the Start Menu's search box, and look for anything you aren't using—Bluetooth controllers, modems, and virtual Wi-Fi adapters are common culprits. Right-click on the entry you want to disable and hit "Disable". Remember to only do this with things you don't actually use—if you use Wireless Hosted Networks, you'll need to keep those virtual Wi-Fi adapters enabled. It's also worth mentioning here that keeping all your drivers up to date will also help this portion of the startup time

Gamachan

Gamachan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Im afraid im out of ideas as well lol...
I think ill be ok as long as my laptop runs smooth though ^^

Maybe its my 2nd hdd that i installed. Ill just replace it when it gets worse lol

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I have just watched your video again but am still none the wiser :whistling:

I honestly feel that your hardware is ok though.