Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Power Supply limit for L7VMM2 Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Gotcha. Now, since I still have two slots open for a total of 2GB, can I get two more sticks (the same ones I just ordered) at a later time? I do know that my system is only 32 bit, so if I can do that, the system will only recognize 3.5 GB.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Yes, you can add 2x1GB identical RAM at a later date.

my system is only 32 bit, so if I can do that, the system will only recognize 3.5 GB.

For all intents and purposes Your OS can only use a portion of the installed RAM but it does recognize 4GB it just can't access it all as some address are reserved.
Too long for me to explain, but if interested, > http://www.pcworld.c...4gb-of-ram.html

Taken from the > http://www.codinghor...tes-of-ram.html

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, I'm ready to install the new memory, do I need to ask the next question in a different forum? The question is, Will I need to change any settings before or after I install the new sticks?

Edited by wreekhavoc, 10 June 2013 - 12:40 PM.

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
O.K., I've just upgraded my memory. So far, all is well. If there are any things I need to know about changing the settings in my BIOS to get a better performance from my PC, you can throw them at me. I am really looking into a better PSU also. I guess I am also looking into what my motherboard can handle because right now I just have an Intel Pentium 4 and I know that is pretty much obsolete. If I could upgrade my processor without having to buy a new computer would be fine, then I know next would be a hard drive. With all of the information you and philpower2 have so patiently given me I can say that I am leaning towards building a new computer in stages while keeping this one as is. At this time it would seem a bit more logical as well as practical to get the parts that I can afford in order to build a new one so that I could avoid the bloatware that comes with pre-made/store bought systems.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Gday.
You are OK to keep going on this topic. No settings to change.

Disconnect the power, take anti static measures before handling parts. > Press and hold in the power on button for 10 seconds, > Open the locking tabs at each end of the RAM slot, pull out the stick, replace following the instructions in the packet, > Power on the computer.

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Thanks, Yes I've done exactly what you said. The computer powered up fine. I don't know if there was any difference in speed or performance yet, but I'll keep you posted. Any suggestions on what I can do with the two 512MB sticks that are of no use to me now?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Been looking again at using your old and new RAM together, a very mixed results bag. Computer will not boot. will boot, but unstable. Will boot, runs OK until a game is played, then crashes. Success. Most times shows running in duel mode, 3GB total shows in the BIOS.

I suggest you give it a try, install to the empty slots. You may see a slight improvement in gaming and should see better results in applications that use lots of memory.
You will need benchmarking software to run before and after installing the RAM. this one is free, simple to use and you can save results to make comparisons.

I installed it to test, did get an error when running first time. CPU wrongly detected, (this PC is my 4 year old test rig running XP.) I followed the prompts to load a Microsoft hotfix, went OK, bug fixed.

> http://novabench.com/download.php

Let us know the results. We can look at cleaning up your system Next. We can then look at configuring a future bit by bit build, this we have done before.

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
OK, before I get started with that, What is the benchmarking for? What does running in duel mode mean?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts

What is the benchmarking for?

Before installing the RAM, run the full test, save the log, run the RAM test, save the log. Do the same after installing the memory. It will give you Date to compare to see if there has been a improvement. it is possible that there is poorer performance, which will show in the scores.

What does running in duel mode mean?

It is how the RAM operates. Chips on both sides of the module are used.

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Ran the first benchmark test with the new added memory. I will add the two old 512MB's tomorrow then a benchmark test for that also. I will then post the results for both.

Edited by wreekhavoc, 12 June 2013 - 10:05 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Look forward to the results, Posted Image

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
RESULTS FOR FIRST TEST AFTER INSTALLING THE NEW MEMORY MODULES AFTER REMOVING THE OLD 512MB'S:

Verified NovaBench Score: 233

Test run on June 12, 2013 at 23:26
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz running at 3000 MHz

RADEON X300 Series GPU

2048 MB System RAM (Score: 100)
- RAM Speed: 2387 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 122)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 33344958
- Integer Operations/Second: 79455256
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 330250

Graphics Tests (Score: 1)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 3

Hardware Tests (Score: 10)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 226 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 15 MB/s Posted Image

TODAY'S RESULTS AFTER ADDING THE TWO OLD 512MB MEMORY MODULES:
Verified NovaBench Score: 225

Test run on June 14, 2013
Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz running at 3000 MHz

RADEON X300 Series GPU

3072 MB System RAM (Score: 89)
- RAM Speed: 2484 MB/s

CPU Tests (Score: 123)
- Floating Point Operations/Second: 33625680
- Integer Operations/Second: 80159534
- MD5 Hashes Generated/Second: 330706

Graphics Tests (Score: 4)
- 3D Frames Per Second: 16

Hardware Tests (Score: 9)
- Primary Partition Capacity: 226 GB
- Drive Write Speed: 13 MB/s Posted Image

Edited by wreekhavoc, 14 June 2013 - 12:05 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
Gday.
Thanks for posting the benchmarks.
Looks to me like the system does not need that extra DIMM as the overall performance has gone down.

Can you feel a difference when playing games with the two RAM configurations?

wreekhavoc

wreekhavoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well, I can honestly say, I really can't tell. I tried with just the new memory and it seemed a bit smoother. I tried adding the old memory with the new and sometimes it's smoother and sometimes there's no difference. It seems either way, they work well for awhile then I can't tell if it's the browser or what. Because I have a Pentium 4 processor and still using XP I'm beginning to think, it may be that newer apps, etc. are taking more resources in order to work properly on the older system. Once I get to my Photoshop Elements and other programs, I could probably tell any difference in any of those. :headscratch:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,758 posts
I don't think a program would use any more resources on XP compared to W7. Suggest you run PC Pitstop to see if we can improve performance.
You will need to use IE for the site as it uses a ActiveX control. Please ignore any offers to fix or paid for software..
Click on, Create Free Account. Follow the prompts. When the results window opens, Please copy the URL from the address bar and paste in your next reply.
> http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp