Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help setting up a domain on Win2003

• Please log in to reply

dunebug81

dunebug81

• Pip
  • 7 posts
If anyone can help me out with this msg me on aim: dunebug81

I set one up years ago in school and have since forgotten pretty much everything.

I need to set up a domain so I can run a VPN.

-Greg

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you don't need a domain for a vpn, you just need a computer running remote access server software

You need to be more specific as to what your overall plans are

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://compnetworkin...pnwindowsxp.htm

dunebug81

dunebug81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I think not knowing exactly what is needed is also making this harder then it should be.

Thanks for the link...hopefully this will be easier then settting up this DC.

-Greg

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
even setting up a domain controller is easy in win2003--it's all wizard based now

dunebug81

dunebug81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK, I got the domain set up but now I cant get my other computer to see, let alone join, the domain. Ive added the computer and a user in the mmc snap-in but when i try to add the computer it says domain name is invalid or does not exist.

My domain is Win2K3 and my workstation is Win2K.

Any suggestions?

-Greg

Edited by dunebug81, 07 June 2005 - 03:47 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you don't need a domain...in fact, it could cause issues with the vpn...what are you doing now? why?

you are causing more work than you need to---do you have dns set up? Is your client getting dns info from the domain controller now? If this is a home network you almost certainly have dhcp info (with dns) from your cable/dsl router.

dunebug81

dunebug81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Right now we arent using the VPN. Im just trying to get one the computer to see the other. I guess im missing a step to get the workstation to join the domain.

Both the domain and workstation are both getting dns from the router via dhcp.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no good.

since the router does not KNOW your domain, it will forward all domain requests outside your network to the internet, where the various root servers will tell your workstation "you're high, there is no such domain." because they do not know your domain either (your domain is not registered with icann)

You need to set up dns on your server, have your workstation get it's info from it, and set up dns forwarding so your network will look to the router for any different domains.

dunebug81

dunebug81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, DNS server is now set up, and hoepfully running correctly, on the DC. I unchecked DHCP on the DC and gave it the same IP as DHCP gave it. I assume that Ill need to do the same for the workstations as well?

Is there anything that I need to change on my router?

I dont know what I should put for the DNS address in the TCP/IP properties.

Edited by dunebug81, 07 June 2005 - 04:37 PM.