Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How To Fix STOP 0x00000005 Errors

• Please log in to reply

wandererbkb

wandererbkb

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Every time I startup windows I get a blue screen of death seconds after the desktop appears with an INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT error, STOP 0x00000005.

The last thing I did was update my graphics card drivers. I have been starting it up in safe mode and I tried rolling back my graphics drivers, which I think was successful, although I still get the same error when I startup the computer. I got a registry cleaner and cleaned the registry but that didn't do anything useful. I still get the same error every time I start up and I don't have a clue what to do now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Boot to Safe Mode again and do a System Restore to before you updated the Graphics driver, see if that helps.

wandererbkb

wandererbkb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
It says I have no system restore points.

tricky300

tricky300

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Almost certainly due to a recent bug introduced to Trusteer's Rapport. See...
http://answers.micro...4d-ff78288e32c2

Tricky

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Tricky, that fix does not apply to XP systems with SP3 installed so may not work.

wandererbkb, if the fix Tricky pointed to does not work or does not fix the problem, try selecting Last know good configuration that worked from the Advanced Boot Options Menu (Safe Mode Menu), see if that helps.

tricky300

tricky300

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The "fix" most certainly does apply to SP3 systems, it is a fix that I personally derived after analysis. It is a bug in Trusteer Rapport's drivers introduced on or around 30/31 May 2013. Trusteer have even acknowledged that they are at fault. Please read my thread on "Answers" before passing further comment.

Edited by tricky300, 04 June 2013 - 04:28 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
From the link you provided:

It will not install on SP3:

Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying.
There is no need to install this update.

wandererbkb

wandererbkb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
I renamed the trusteer folder and I still got the same blue screen. I also tried the last known good configuration and that didn't work either.

tricky300

tricky300

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Like I said, read the thread before replying, but you didn't. Read the whole thread, not just the first few replies. The post by ElderL is referring to the post by XP Rocks. XP Rocks' suggested solution doesn't apply to SP3 - mine most definitely does. I have personally applied it now on two PCs, both of which were SP3.

Please read the whole thread and make an effort to understand it. Read about my proposed solution (the one that has been marked as an answer), not somebody else's. My handle in that thread is the same as my handle here. Read about the people responding in the thread saying that my solution has worked for them.

If you have questions about it I will be glad to respond to them, but please stop saying things that are just not true.

Tricky

Edited by tricky300, 05 June 2013 - 03:55 PM.

tricky300

tricky300

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi wandererbkb,

I have now personally successfully repaired two PCs this way, i.e. not by forum but in my own business premises. There is now someone in the "Answers" thread also reporting that the rename doesn't stop the BSOD.

Perhaps your mindumps would point the finger at a Rapport driver in a different folder? Can you zip them up and put them in a public place (such as SkyDrive) for us to look at? See ZigZag's first reply here...
How to provide minidumps

Edited by tricky300, 05 June 2013 - 06:16 AM.

tricky300

tricky300

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Here is another thought. I have just tried this on one of my XP machines without any adverse effects, but it was done with the latest version of Rapport which
a) was not causing BSODs, and
b) might be different to your PC's version in other ways

In safe mode, rename these two folders...
C:\Program Files\Trusteer\Rapport
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trusteer\Rapport
...for example to...
C:\Program Files\Trusteer\duffRapport
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Trusteer\duffRapport

Once you have (hopefully) started in normal mode, you can rename them back to the original. Hopefully you should then be able to uninstall Rapport.

Edited by tricky300, 05 June 2013 - 06:20 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I did read the entire thread, several times. What I did not see, was that the responses were not in date order so even though yours shows as the 2nd post in the thread, it's dated later then then ones below it. I thought they were responding to your post.

Thanks for your responses, I get there eventually though it takes awhile some times.

I hope the dumps show something useful.

tricky300

tricky300

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Yeah "Answers" puts the posts marked as such at the top. After that, all posts are chrono, including the posts you have already seen marked as answers at the top. It has pros and cons.
Tricky

wandererbkb

wandererbkb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Sorry for the delay in my response. Unfortunately we're not going to be able to get to the bottom of this as I have a shared computer and others were a bit ticked off that it was broken so a completely new one was purchased and now the old hard drive has been relegated to storage duties. I'm sorry if I wasted your time, I was hoping to try and fix it. Thanks for your help.

tricky300

tricky300

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hopefully it is not you that they are ticked off at. There was nothing anyone could have done to predict it or stop it happening. If it is you that is the subject of their ire, tell them that it is Trusteer that they should really be ticked off at!

Tricky