Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comdlg32.ocx - unable to load?

• Please log in to reply

Jaunce

Jaunce

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
A program I'm using requires Comdlg32.ocx. I've had this problem before on previous computers, and was always able to fix it, but my laptop is being uncooperative.

I've extracted Comdlg32.ocx to System 32 already, but when I go to command promt to activate it, it comes up with this error : "The module "comdlg32.ocx" failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check it for problems with the binary or dependent .dll files. The specified module could not be found."

I've tried running it as an administrator, as well. Perhaps there's something wrong with what I'm typing in command prompt?
These are the two prompts I've tried:
regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx

and

regsvr32 %Systemroot%\System32\comdlg32.ocx

Both of these as an administrator and as not.

Could someone help me out, please? :)

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

Are you running Windows Vista or Windows 7 x64 by any chance?
In case you don't know how to check Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

Edit: If this happens on the same machine where you are having trouble to enable Avast shields I would recommend to wait for a solution on the other thread before doing more changes...

After getting a clean bill of health you can then return to this thread.

Edited by SleepyDude, 04 June 2013 - 07:15 AM.

Jaunce

Jaunce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Yep, my avast is all working now, so no problems... And I have 64 bit Windows, actually.

I attempted it again in command prompt, (since maybe it had something to do with Avast?) and when I tried "regsvr32 comdlg32.ocx" this time it came up with this: the module comdlg32.ocx may not be compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check if the module is compatible with a 32 bit or 64 bit version of regsvr32.exe.

However, when I tried "regsvr32 %systemroot%\system32\comdlg32.ocx" the same error as in the first post occurred. And when ran as an administrator, both prompts resulted in the error.

:P So maybe it is just not comptatible? If so, how would I manage to get a compatible version?

EDIT: Actually, nevermind! I got it to work using this tutorial. :)

EDIT: (again) Okay, I take that back. It said everything registered correctly, but my program still won't run. -_-' I even restarted my computer to see if that would help...

Edited by Jaunce, 04 June 2013 - 10:08 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

Did you copy the file to C:\Windows\SysWOW64?
Delete the file comdlg32.ocx from c:\windows\system32

Open the Command Prompt as Administrator and go to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder by typing:
cd C:\Windows\SysWOW64
regsvr32 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\comdlg32.ocx

Jaunce

Jaunce

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Well, I tried that, and it said that comctl32.ocx was missing now. :P But I downloaded that and activated it and it's all working good now! ^__^

Thanks for your help!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Well, I tried that, and it said that comctl32.ocx was missing now. :P But I downloaded that and activated it and it's all working good now! ^__^

Thanks for your help!

Yep, some programs have several dependencies but only give one error at the time.
I'm glad all worked ok for you.