Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing NTDLR on Windows xp upgrade

• Please log in to reply

orbitomajic

orbitomajic

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The boot file is corrupted and I'm getting this NTDLR is missing. I've tried to use the upgrade Windows XP to reformat the HD with no success because it wants to convert from a previous version of Windows which can't be found...

Any suggestions? I'm wondering what it'd be like to use a Linux OS and how hard would it be to download everything off the Internet for it. It could take days on a slow dial-up, I'm assuming. Isn't there a better way to simply fix this by downloading the missing file, perhaps? I can burn it to a bootable CD and try it there.

Please give me some suggestions! I'm getting desparate.

Orbit

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Either a damaged boot sector or a missing or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files. Use the COPY command to replace damaged files from the Win XP CD.

Boot from the Win XP CD and enter the Recovery Console.

At the Command Prompt type the following ( "X" is your CD-Rom
drive letter). Allow the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

A damaged Boot Sector can be repaired at the command
prompt by typing FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y".

orbitomajic

orbitomajic

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
There is no operating system; it was wiped out from some kind of a virus. I only have a Windows XP Pro Upgrade CD that I paid $99.00 for a year or two ago. My old Window ME disks wouldn't boot and were not recognizable after the Upgrade to XP. I trashed them. This exact same thing happened last fall and I had to borrow a Full Version of Windows from a friend who has moved away. That was when I pitched the old Win ME disks into the recycle bin. Win ME was a terrible OS.

Yesterday I downloaded a free Debian OS to try to put it on there but it doesn't recognise any of it. I tried your suggestions, no luck there either.

The FIXBOOT was successful but I'm still missing the NTLDR. I've downloaded the 229 KB NTLDR from the Internet and burned it onto a CD. There's an NTDETECT MS-DOS applicatgion on it as well. I'm fairly new to DOS and COPY it to the bad sector.

Any suggestions will be helpful>>>>> other than making a skeet-shooter out of it.

Orbit