Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confused with sound on my new system

• Please log in to reply

Splott

Splott

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Having some problems getting sound to work on my new pc, it came without an OS so i had to install the drivers for most of the ports but im still having problems with the sound. I have a Raedon Hd 7770 and Logitech X210 sound system with subwoofer. I have the standard in and out jacks at the back with mic and a headphone and mic jack at the front. Im using using a HDMI cable as my video card didn't come with a VGA port so i may needed to upgrade to DVI. I had no problems with setting up sound on my old system but im now running Win7 so all of the interfaces are new to me and confusing.

So if i understand all this correctly:
In jack = Subwoofer
Out jack = 2 speakers
Headphones = headphone jack in the front (im guessing this is in as well)

I had pop-ups at first when plugging in to identify which device i was using (which i found confusing,) these pop-ups no longer show so i may have messed everything up, can i reset these? The problem i have now is selecting my playback device as my monitor is displayed and due to using HDMI sound comes from the speakers which i don't want. My headphones seem to work fine with certain settings but i have never been able to get my 2 speakers working at all. At the moment i am getting both bass and very faint sound coming from my subwoofer, so i can actually hear audio but its very distorted and with very high bass over the top of it.

Is all this due to me using a HDMI cable? Can one be using with external speakers? If i use a DVI cable instead will this problem clear itself up?

I have recently also uninstalled the audio drivers which i used for my old system (be it with a different cable and video card,) and the sound still works, i thought you needed drivers for sound?

Advertisements

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi Splott,

Correct me if I am wrong but I understand the problem to be that the sound plays through the HDMI cable rather than the audio out-put jack on your computer. You then attempting to resolve the issue yourself uninstalled the drivers but experienced no change.

Firstly, when you uninstalled the audio drivers they probably reverted to the default Windows drivers. I would reinstall the drivers.

Before you change to a DVI, lets try getting the sound working with the HDMI cable.

Can you check something for me?

Open your start menu.
Click control panel.
Select "Hardware and Sound"
Click "Sound"

How many devices can you see in this window?

Thank you, Masher.

Splott

Splott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, sound plays through the HDMI but i want it playing out of my external speakers with sub. What do you mean by 'windows' drivers? The other difference i have seen is that a Realtek device has been replaced with 'digital audio' and everything still reacts the same as it did before.

Here is my devices window with everything shown anyway, as you can see i disabled my monitor for playback.
Posted Image

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi Splott,

Sorry, I should have elaborated a bit more.

Instead of using the Realtek drivers, it's using generic ones from Microsoft. It will still have some drivers installed just not the ones from Realtek.

From that Window, could you please select the "Speakers" from the list and at the bottom of the Window click "Set Default". Please then apply these settings and test to see if this then changes the output of the audio to the speakers.

If it doesn't, I would double click on the "Digital Audio (S/PDIF)" device and under device usage at the bottom change it from "Use this device (Enable)" to "Don't Use this device (disable)" then click OK twice.

Any problems, let me know.

Thank you, Masher92.

Splott

Splott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I set the default to 'speakers', i got both sound and bass from my subwoofer but none from my 2 speakers. (Like as described above)

I disabled (don't use this device) on the 'digital audio' option and nothing changed.

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi Splott,

Did you reinstall the Realtek drivers yet?

I would reinstall the drivers.

Thanks, Masher.

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi Splott,

Another idea that popped into my head, when you installed the video driver did you do express install or a custom install?

If you could open device manager.

Click the Start Menu
Right-Click on Computer and select properties.
Choose Device Manager
Expand Audio Inputs and Outputs
Expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers.

If you could then list pr screenshot what devices are underneath these.

Thanks, Masher.

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Can I also confirm the Logitech device is all connected up like the picture on page two if this PDF?

http://www.logitech....f/13101.1.0.pdf

Splott

Splott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The problem has been fixed! After reading the .pdf you linked to i noticed that the sub had a jack, it turns out that i was plugging my 2 speakers into my PC instead of into the sub!

Thanks for the help anyway, even though i should have never have asked the question in the first place :blush:

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Ah ha! We've cracked it!

I wasn't going to let this beat us :lol:

Glad your issue is resolved.