Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network/Internet connection problem

• Please log in to reply

cordi2772

cordi2772

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Gateway
Windows Vista
radio type 802.11g
security type WEP

"the settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network"

It worked yesterday.

Advertisements

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi there,

Lets see what we can do about this shall we.

The first thing to try is removing the old settings and reconnecting.

Removing the old settings:
Go to Start
Right-click on Network
Click on properties.
Down the left hand side of the Network and Sharing Center, click Manage Wireless Networks.
In the list, please select the wireless network you are having difficulty connecting to and then click remove.

Reconnecting to wireless:
Go to Start
Click Connect to.
Select the wireless network which you want to connect to.
Click Connect.
Enter your WEP key and click connect.

Does this get you connected? If not, let us know and we'll give you some more advice.

On the topic of Wireless, is their a specific reason you are using WEP as your security type?

WEP is considered insecure. If possible, I would recommend using WPA2 as an alternative.

Thank you, Masher.

Edited by masher92, 04 June 2013 - 01:55 PM.

cordi2772

cordi2772

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank You!! At home I have WPA2, this problem occurred at work, where I have my personal laptop connected to my companies network. I don't know why it is WEP. As of your advice however I am going to mention the security risk to my employer. Thanks again for all the help.