Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help building new comp, not booting

• Please log in to reply

pgag66

pgag66

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi, can any1 help im building a new comp, never done this b4 and the friend who was helping/recommended parts has done one since its not going to plan so im really in the deep end

CPU AMD A10 5800K Black Edition 3.8GHz Socket FM2 4MB L2 Cache
RAM Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1066Mhz Memory Kit CL7 1.5V Unbuffered Non-ECC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A85XM-D3H A85X Socket FM2 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel Audio mATX
PSU Corsair CX750M 750W

basically it all seems like its about to load up but then after a few seconds the CPU fan stops and nothing, no beeps

iv tried removing the hdd, cd drive and memory but still get the same

any help,tips or advice?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: pgag66

The first suggestion I will make is to remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.

IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate (see diagram below) you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thankyou you very much for the reply just b4 i try and do that i have possible a silly question but do i need a graphics card as i was under the impression i didnt? it was integrated

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Perfectly reasonable question to ask :thumbsup:

If the MB and CPU details that I have are correct the you do not need an add on video card as the CPU provides the graphics through the MBs video port/s;

MB http://www.gigabyte....spx?pid=4383#sp
CPU http://www.ebuyer.co...l-ad580kwohjbox

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:thumbsup: thanks and yeah thats what iv got

iv got 2 other quick questions

1 - the mb stand offs, im sure they were all in the correct location, but 8 were needed and in the pack were (with the case) 7 of 1 kind and then 2 with a cpl of extra mm of thread at the top, i did use both of them and 6 of the others could that short it out?

and the case iv got Coolermaster Elite 371 and when u pop the front cover off on the left hand side of the space for the first drive is a black wire screwed on to where i would put a screw to reattach the plate (they snap out to get the drives in) im sure u know that, any way should it be there? it leads back into where all the f front panel wires are from the power/reset and usbs on the front

sorry again if daft Q's and thanks a lot for the help this isnt a strong point of mine

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Busy in work at the moment but will check back in a couple of hours and will answer your questions then.

EDIT:

The standoff information will be found in the MBs installation manual but standoff placement and size are typically uniform.

The black wire in your case may be an earth strap, this information should be found in the case manual that should have been provided with the case.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks, im gonna take it apart now and see if i can get any joy

no mention of the black wire in the case book tho

and i got a pack of new stand offs so they will all be the same

will let you know how i get on

Cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Just a reminder, make sure that the piece of cardboard is larger than the MB, be sure to ground yourself before touching any hardware and most importantly disconnect all power cables before you begin.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks, this is what i meant about the standoffs,

Posted Image

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
done the barebones set-up and same cpu fan spins for few seconds then stops no beeps

tried shorting the power switch and the cpu fan spins continuously but no beeps n no bios

just tried to take the cpu off and its like its welded on, is this the prob?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
It's Thursday, so while Phillpower2 is away at his ballet class Posted Image, I will chip in.

Stand-offs. On most MB mounting plates, they screw into a raised ridge around the outside and little platforms in the middle, (short stand-offs.) Occasionally, some screw into the flat part of the plate, (slightly longer stand-offs) Use the shorter ones for your build.

NB. You have installed the lowest speed RAM, this will impact perormance on this build. The A10 5800K gives best performance, without over-clocking using DDR3 1866 RAM like this, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820233359

Please answer all the questions.
When you installed the CPU cooler, did you remove all protective films?
Was there a thermal pad pre installed to the heat-sink bottom?
Did you apply any TIM?
Did you install the I/O shield that was included in the MB box, into the case?
Did you take anti static measure when handling parts by briefly touching bare part of the computer case?

just tried to take the cpu off and its like its welded on,

They can stick quite firmly after running for a while but surprised yours has, as it has not really had time to bed itself in yet.
If you have moved the locking lever over? Please stop and let us know before proceeding any further. you may have disturbed the bond and will have to remove the coaler clean off all TIM, apply new, and reseat the cooler.
If you have not moved the locking lever, please carry out the next steps.
With the MB on the cardboard, The PSU disconnected
Check that the system speaker plugs + & - symbols match the + & - speaker pins on the MB. MB manual page 26.
Remove everything else (including mouse, keyboard, RAM, monitor, all that should be left is the CPU, and cooler. the system speaker.
Attach the CPU fan plug to the CPU fan header on the MB.
Locate the clear CMOS pins MB Manual Page 7. Carry out the clear CMOS steps, MB manual page 25.
Connect the two power cables to the MB, the 20/4 pin plug and the 8 pin plug.12 v
Connect the PSU to a socket, turn on the PSU switch.
Short out the power on pins.
The PSU fan should spin, the CPU fan should spin, very fast, and keep going. write down the beep code, if any.
With the power off.
Install 2 stick of ram in slots 1 & 2 MB manual page 16. ensure properly seated, locking clips at each end closed.
Start the computer, the beep code should have changed,.

Add components and test,

Mouse and keyboard, Watch for the lights on the keyboard.
Monitor.
Optical drive and HDD.
You should now get a screen message, no OS detected or installed.

Hope you got the far.

If you do have a GPU to install < I would add it after everything else isdone, just before you install the OS.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:lol: thanks

standoffs - nice one, iv already got a pack of new 1s, so il have all the same size when/if i get to put the mb back in

So will the RAM be ok for now as im skint till payday (2 weeks) then i can upgrade that, the place i got the RAM from wont take it back

When you installed the CPU cooler, did you remove all protective films? yes
Was there a thermal pad pre installed to the heat-sink bottom? yes
Did you apply any TIM? no
Did you install the I/O shield that was included in the MB box, into the case? yes
Did you take anti static measure when handling parts by briefly touching bare part of the computer case? yes

I did undo the lock for the heatsink and tried to lift it off, not sure if it makes any diff but its been installed on the mb for a week 2day, thats when the parts came but had to wait over the weekend for a new psu as the first 1 was 450W and what i originally thought the problem was

I just await a reply b4 i do anything else, cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for stepping in to help pgag66 out while I was away iammykyl :thumbsup:

NB: My passion for wearing a tutu is known the world over now BTW :woot:

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:lol: so then billypower2 should i do the clear the COMS thing and try get some beeps other than whats coming out my mouth :smashcomp:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Glad to help Phillpower2. Smiled often today, had a little picture in my mind.

So will the RAM be ok for now as im skint till payday

Yes, it will be fine until you can upagrade when funds available.

so then billypower2 should i do the clear the COMS thing and try get some beeps

Phillpower2 is not on line yet, so see no reason why you should not proceed. Make sure the cooler locking lever is back in the locked position.

Providing there are no problems and we get the system up and running, some temp monitoring should be done. This just incase the TIM is not performing correctly.
Please complete each step, if no hiccups, and post back.

Are you in the UK?