Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help building new comp, not booting

• Please log in to reply

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks il try doing that now

Yes, it will be fine until you can upagrade when funds available.

great news

Are you in the UK?

yeah

i may as well ask now, if i have to take the cpu off soon or any time in the future how would i do that then?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

if i have to take the cpu off soon or any time in the future how would i do that then?

You will be able to do it while the MB is in the case, just makes it a little harder to work on.
On the first test, CPU only, leave it running for about 15 minutes. It won't be under load, but will give some indication of how well the TIM is working.
If it shuts down after a couple of minutes, it is overheating and it will have to be dismantled, cleaned and new TIM applied.

1.30am, signing off for now.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
just cleared the COMS,then shorted the mb and iv got some beeps!! real life beeps!

beep quickly followed by 2 faster beeps slight pause and the it repeated till i powered down

now ill add the ram and try, buy 1 question do i short the mb out everytime i try something new or connect the power switch up?

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
iv added the RAM and just got 1 beep

added monitor keyboard and mouse and the bios has come up and says Bios has been reset - please decide how to continue

options iv got are

: load optimized defaults then boot
: load optimized defaults then reboot
: Enter BIOS

i haven't tried plugging in the cd drive or hard drive yet

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
You guys rock, really great news, im all up and running have got windows installed and all the drivers :thumbsup:

so what will have caused the problem i was having?

CPU temp was running about 61/62 but the back fan connector decided to break,

can i plug the fan 3 pin into the mb 4pin? if so what side pin is left exposed? it was directly into the psu with the adaptor bit but the pins have come out of that!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Great job pgag66 Posted Image, Just the kind of reply post we like to see.
Did you load optimized Defaults?
Have you everything installed in the case?
Did you update the MB drivers and utilities?

so what will have caused the problem i was having?

Could have been the stand-offs, wrong front header plug placement, but I would plump for the mini speaker being wrong way around.

can i plug the fan 3 pin into the mb 4pin? if so what side pin is left exposed? it was directly into the psu with the adaptor bit but the pins have come out of that!

Yes, System fan 1 header is the one to go for, if that is a 4 pin, the 3 pin plug has a groove on one side and will only go on in the correct positions. The disadvantage of using a 3 pin fan, is that there is not the forth pin signal lead, means that the fan will run at the top speed unless there is an option in the fan control utility from the MB supplier. You could, when funds available, buy a 4 pin PWM fan, and reuse the spare elsewhere in the case.The pins that have come out of the adapter, can be pulled out with a pair of pliers and be put back where they are supposed to be.

CPU temp was running about 61/62

That would be OK for a system under full load but too high for one when idle. You may find that when you run a game it will climb to 80/90 C and crash, Auto shut-down to protect the CPU. Not good as damage can result.

With your OS and drivers up to date, and if possible before loading heaps of programs, I advise creating a drive image and a restore disk using the Windows built in tools.
If you have a major problem in the future, you can install the image in just a couple of steps and be back to a vanilla system.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:lol: so then billypower2 should i do the clear the COMS thing and try get some beeps other than whats coming out my mouth :smashcomp:

Glad to help Phillpower2. Smiled often today, had a little picture in my mind.

So will the RAM be ok for now as im skint till payday

Yes, it will be fine until you can upagrade when funds available.

so then billypower2 should i do the clear the COMS thing and try get some beeps

Phillpower2 is not on line yet, so see no reason why you should not proceed. Make sure the cooler locking lever is back in the locked position.

Providing there are no problems and we get the system up and running, some temp monitoring should be done. This just incase the TIM is not performing correctly.
Please complete each step, if no hiccups, and post back.

Are you in the UK?

I was that ugly duckling in swan lake

NB: A tip for future reference pgag66, if you should ever need to remove the heatsink from atop the CPU for whatever reason run the computer for about 5 minutes so that the heat softens the thermal paste and turn the heatsink ever so slightly to the left or right before removing the heatsink as this will break the bond between the HS and CPU, all this after following the correct safety and anti static precautions of course.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:cheers:

Did you load optimized Defaults? i did what it said on the GB website - enter bios then quit and save, also all the beep codes were there
Have you everything installed in the case? yes everything is in and working (what im using now)
Did you update the MB drivers and utilities? no, il have a look at the mb booklet and do that as well as testing the temps now the fan is running, id 4got id put the windows dvd in the drive so that just loaded on soon as id hooked up the cd drive

Yes, System fan 1 header is the one to go for, if that is a 4 pin, the 3 pin plug has a groove on one side and will only go on in the correct positions.

thanks, yeah i will deffo be ordering a new fan or 2, have space for 5 extra i think

That would be OK for a system under full load but too high for one when idle. You may find that when you run a game it will climb to 80/90 C and crash, Auto shut-down to protect the CPU. Not good as damage can result.

what should the temp be running at just in bios? il test this out again later

With your OS and drivers up to date, and if possible before loading heaps of programs, I advise creating a drive image and a restore disk using the Windows built in tools.
If you have a major problem in the future, you can install the image in just a couple of steps and be back to a vanilla system.

thanks will also do this later on, only programs iv put on is Avast and vuze so far, needed to see this weeks game of thrones :lol:

NB: A tip for future reference pgag66, if you should ever need to remove the heatsink from atop the CPU for whatever reason run the computer for about 5 minutes so that the heat softens the thermal paste and turn the heatsink ever so slightly to the left or right before removing the heatsink as this will break the bond between the HS and CPU, all this after following the correct safety and anti static precautions of course.

:thumbsup: spot on, what would i clean the thermal paste off with b4 applying new to reinstall?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.

Did you update the MB drivers and utilities? no, il have a look at the mb booklet and do that as well as testing the temps

You should do that before creating the drive image.

what should the temp be running at just in bios? il test this out again later

This is what I aim for, CPU, under 30C idle. Under 60C full load. GPU, under 40c, idle. Under 80C, full load.

what would i clean the thermal paste off with b4 applying new to reinstall?

99% pure Isopropyl alcohol, which I buy from my local chemist, (drug store), or a cleaning kit like this, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835100010 This is the TIM I yuse, it is electricallly non conductive, if it gets somewhere i not supposed to go, it will not cause a short, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186038 You will also need soem Q tips and kitchen paper towel.

Follow Phillpower2's tips Posted Image You should be able to clean the CPU without removing it from the socket.
Dip the Q tip in the solution, blot on the paper tower to prevent flooding the socket. rub the solution into the TIM to loosen and remove, only use a clean end when dipping into the solution, do a final wipe with some paper towel. Do the same for the heat-sink plate. Apply new TIM as per the instructions.
After reinstalling the cooler, don't forge to plug in the CPU fan.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

This is what I aim for, CPU, under 30C idle. Under 60C full load.

just tested this and in BIOS after been left for 10 mins its running at 59 to 61, so im guessing i do need to take it off and add more TIM?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

just tested this and in BIOS after been left for 10 mins its running at 59 to 61, so im guessing i do need to take it off and add more TIM?

I would say yes. As it is at the moment, if you pushed it, I think it would crash. The Max temp, from AMD is 74C > http://products.amd....3=&f4=&f5=&f6=

Here is a stress test, stock cooler, > http://www.legitrevi...rticle/2047/16/

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
thanks, cool, il give that a go 2morro then, is there much diff between all the types?

just had a look what i can get locally would : http://www.maplin.co...aner-kit-351566 or http://www.pcworld.c...737499-pdt.html do the job ok

should i upgrade the BIOS b4 i do the CUP or after, have downloaded the latest update and put it on a usb

iv got another problem, am i ok to add it to this thread? basically iv removed ubuntu off my gfs laptop and installed windows 7 as i got the disk for the above pc, all went well and its installed but no drivers for the net, i cant find the cd that came with anywhere or the correct drivers on the zoostorm website, is there anything i can do? its a zoostorm notebook w251hu

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Go for the Akasa AK-455, does well here, > http://www.hardwares...ary-2012/1490/5
I would upgrade before the repair, take note of warnings about flashing the BIOS.

iv got another problem, am i ok to add it to this thread? basically iv removed ubuntu off my gfs laptop and installed windows 7 as i got the disk for the above pc,

If the windows 7 disk you used is a OEM licence ver, it is tied to the original computer build and is not legal to install on any other machine. If the disk is a full retail versions, it is legal to transfer to another computer, but can only be installed on one machine at a time. When breaking these rules, it may well install successfully but you are more than likely to get a pop up from Microsoft, stating the installation is illegal, you will loose any support and the OS may stop working correctly.
As this problem is not related to your original post, please start a new topic making it clear, the type of Window licence and if previously used, this will influence the solutions given.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok so got everything ready to do this will let you know how i get on, iv read all the warnings about flashing, how important is it i upgrade the bios, just dont wanna turn my nice new working comp into a brick :lol:

, please start a new topic

thanks will do, i thought id read b4 i bought it that it could be installed onto 3 comps without probs but now i see thats the family pack! :rolleyes:

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Unless you have problems with, RAM, hardware, bugs, or upgrade to support a new OS ver, that can be fixed with a BIOS upgrade, I would leave well alone. More important would be upgrades for the MB drivers and utilities, GPU and software.
Now that being said, If there really is something in BIOS update that I think would benefit my build, I update. The biggest risk is with a unstable system, if for some reason the update is interrupted, then you may well brick the computer. So the decision is yours. Posted Image