Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help building new comp, not booting

• Please log in to reply

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I would leave well alone

i think il do that, just misunderstood a few posts back

More important would be upgrades for the MB drivers and utilities, GPU and software.

is that just via the disk (ver.1.02) that came with he MB or from the gigabyte website : http://uk.gigabyte.c...?kw=f2a85xm-d3h

anyway im gonna do the TIM this aft, wish me luck! :lol: got season 2 of swift and shift couriers im desperate to watch, u lot have some crackin comedy does political correctness exist over there :thumbsup:

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I would download from the website, only the following as I think the other would not make much difference to performance. Be sure to select the correct OS and ver.
Drivers.
Realtek HD Audio Driver
AMD Chipset Driver
Realtek LAN Driver
Utility.
Smart Recovery2
I do wish you luck, take your time, check you cabling in case one has been disturbed.

I don't go a lot for the Aussie humour, must be getting old, Open All Hours is more my cup of tea. Political correctness? you better believe it, verticality challenged, vision impaired, we even have a government department churning them out. One of the latest, not sportsman or sportswomen, must now be referred to as, Outdoor Enthusiast.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
:killcomp: arrr done the thermal paste and were still sitting around 59 to 61 in the BIOS! thoughts?

One of the latest, not sportsman or sportswomen, must now be referred to as, Outdoor Enthusiast.

but that just gave me a :lol: craziness!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:killcomp: arrr done the thermal paste and were still sitting around 59 to 61 in the BIOS! thoughts?

That is a disappointing
I have asked other Tech staff to review the topic, see if I have missed something.
Beginning to think there may be a faulty sensor. The CPU may not actually be overheating but if a sensor is reading wrong, when it reports About 75+ the system will automatically shut down to protect itself.

While waiting for the additional help, put the system under stress and see if it does crash.

Edit.
Have to ask, is the CPU fan blowing in the right direction?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Lets have a look at the temps and voltages please pgag66 (+ answer the question that iammykyl asked earlier)

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Have to ask, is the CPU fan blowing in the right direction?

do you know what thats a good question, i dont know? should the fan be pulling the hot air from the chip or be blowing onto it?

here is the fanspeed results, cheers

Attached Thumbnails

• powerphill2 speed fan cup request 1.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
It depends on the design whether the fan should be drawing the air upwards through the fins of the heatsink or downwards.

Correct installation http://www.pcworld.c...cpu_cooler.html

The Speedfan results are not showing all that we need, run HWMonitor and provide a screenshot for us if you will http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

The fan should be drawing the air upwards through the fins of the heatsink.

ok we may have found a winner then, its suckin air into the cpu! how have i do that then? can i just pop off the fan n turn it round?

run HWMonitor

il do this now anyway regardless of ^ cpu fan probably been wrong

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
here it is

Attached Thumbnails

• pp2 cpuid hardware monitor.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
If the cooling fan is attached by screws it is just a case of removing them and turning the fan around and reattaching it.

The HWMonitor results are showing some low PSU readings, this can happen sometimes and be caused by the MBs own monitoring software, so that we have a comparison to the results run Speccy and post the url for us http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web remove any testing programs as you see fit.

Tip;
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that nothing gets overlooked :thumbsup:

Advertisements

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

If the cooling fan is attached by screws it is just a case of removing them and turning the fan around and reattaching it.

Nice1 will do this in a min :thumbsup:

http://speccy.pirifo...zunveeA7oQpYQdT - think iv done this correctly

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the url :thumbsup:

Speccy is showing the same low readings so I suggest that you check them in the BIOS, no need for a screenshot just let us know if the readings there are as they should be or not, see attachments for guidance;

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks, im now gonna turn the fan round and check that out,

if the problem is with the PSU is that its too low W or faulty?

edit

the cpu fan cant be flipped over because of how its built, so im stuck on that 1 now,

in bios:

cpuvcore - 1.404
dram bus - 1.476
atx + 3.3 - 3.324
atx + 5.0 - 5.040
atx + 12 - 12.024

^thats all i could find, thoughts as this 1 has me lost

Edited by pgag66, 13 June 2013 - 06:58 AM.

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Leave the cpu heatsink fan as it is, it is meant to blow down over the heatsink, not suck air up through it. Your temps and voltages look fine to me.

AMD cpus typically run hot, you may want to look at an aftermarket cpu cooler rather than using the stock one provided.

Edited by Leurgy, 13 June 2013 - 11:02 AM.

pgag66

pgag66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Leave the cpu heatsink fan as it is, it is meant to blow down over the heatsink, not suck air up through it. Your temps and voltages look fine to me.

AMD cpus typically run hot, you may want to look at an aftermarket cpu cooler rather than using the stock one provided.

thanks for joining in, thats great news, i will look into getting a better fan for the CPU and some more for the case :cheers:

i think i just have 1 last question related to this comp then, RAM - i will be ordering some DDR3 1866 soon but whats best to do with the other, can i use it as well in slots 3 and 4 or does it all have to be the same speed?

anyway thank you all for all the help