Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Unknown Freezes - ASUS

• Please log in to reply

LuboAS

LuboAS

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, I have an ASUS K52JE ( Intel processor M370 (2.4 GHz dual core)/ Video Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 512 Mb/ 4 GBs of RAM; I bought this laptop 2 years ago and since week one I have been having terrible lag spikes. The lag spikes do not allow me to do anything but to move my mouse across the screen and if I have Google Chrome open it lags and I cannot do anything anymore. I thought it overheats so I bought cooling fans but they did not help.
The hard drive lamp was constantly on during this lag spike so I changed the hard drive (320 GB 5400 Rpm)to an Intel 180GB SSD for $1 for 1 GB but it did not help. However, what i saw is the faster the hard drive the faster the lag spike is gone. (The lag spike can take from 20 seconds up to 2 minutes depending on how well maintained and fast the hard drive is, when I had stuffed HDD it usually took minute and a half but now not more than 30 seconds.)
The lag happens randomly - while browsing, while turning on the laptop, while playing games. What I also saw is that when I go from sleep mode to wake up then these lags are more frequent.

I used to run windows 7 -32 Bit and changed to 64 bit but did not do me any good (I bought the laptop with 3 GBs but added 1 more when I replaced the HDD). During this lag spike I can still talk on Skype and I can hear what the person is talking as well. When I have Google Chrome open and this lag occurs then usually some Add-On crashes as well. I have Microsoft Security Essentials antivirus but the auto updates are OFF and auto scanning is OFF. The lag may happen 10 times a day or not once during the day, but having had the laptop in sleep mode definitely increases the chance of having the lag spike. If you need to know anything else just ask me. I would be glad if I am able to resolve this problem.

Edited by LuboAS, 05 June 2013 - 03:19 AM.

Advertisements