Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop shuts down [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
WhoCrashed report is below, but nothing for many years. It shuts down suddenly and instantly leaving nothing in the event viewer or a minidump file.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
System Information (local)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

computer name: ADRIAN
windows version: Windows Vista Service Pack 2, 6.0, build: 6002
windows dir: C:\Windows
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Celeron® CPU 530 @ 1.73GHz Intel586, level: 6
1 logical processors, active mask: 1
RAM: 801591296 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 2016686080

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 28/09/2008 14:30:51 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini092808-02.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x8FD84)
Bugcheck code: 0xD4 (0xFFFFFFFFA54E8D58, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF81C78435)
Error: SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_UNLOAD
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver did not cancel pending operations before unloading.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 28/09/2008 14:30:51 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!Kei386EoiHelper+0x28EC)
Bugcheck code: 0xD4 (0xFFFFFFFFA54E8D58, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF81C78435)
Bug check description: This indicates that a driver did not cancel pending operations before unloading.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe SYSTEM_SCAN_AT_RAISED_IRQL_CAUGHT_IMPROPER_DRIVER_UNLOAD

On Sun 28/09/2008 14:25:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini092808-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0x8FD84)
Bugcheck code: 0xD4 (0xFFFFFFFFA54BCD58, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFF81C78435)
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Conclusion

3 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

ntkrpamp.exe

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Advertisements

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
The only mini-dump files on the computer are very dated. Let's make sure that they weren't disabled at some point. If mini-dumps were already enabled, let me know and we will move on, if they were not, restart normally to reproduce the crash and then run Who Crashed again and post the new log. When in Normal mode, could you please use IE and not Chrome so we can see if Chrome may a culprit.

• Right click on My Computer, choose Properties and go to the Advanced system settings
  • Click Settings in the Startup and Recovery box
  • Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information
  • Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons

Posted Image

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
My last reply and your subsequent response seem to have disappeared from the log?

I checked and the system was not set to produce minidumps I changed this and although there have been 2 crashes since, no minidump files have been written. I re-checked the settings and they are now correct. The system is also set to re-start on error, but it does not, it just shuts down instantly.

One further thing happened. As you suggested I tried using IE instead of Chrome. I ran IE and put "security essentials download" into the address bar. IE brought up a page warning that this was a compromised site. the address that it had gone to was www.engall.filewin.com
Wheelyjohn

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
If you could, please try to run this OTL Scan in Normal mode.

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Please check the box next to Scan All Users.
  • Make sure Use SafeList is selected under Extra Registry.
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following:
    netsvcs
    BASESERVICES
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    services.*
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    dir C:\ /S /A:L /C
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have tried this many times, but only 3 times has it lasted long enough in normal mode to get OTL running. After the last but one run it ran a disk check on re-boot after the crash The last run went for nearly 30 minutes from boot to crash and the last operation I noticed with OTL was pattern tests. I get the impression that it crashes sooner when it is warm, but this is only an impression. I have run Microscope memory diagnostics for a day, and also it never crashes in safe mode with networking

Edited by Wheelyjohn, 17 June 2013 - 04:13 AM.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Go ahead with the previous scan in safe mode again, and we will see if anything has changed since the original.

Then, could you download SpeedFan from here. After installing SpeedFan please note the temperatures the system is running at especially just prior to the shut down so we can see if the computer is getting too hot.

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
the two OTL files are attached. Speedfan ran for about 30 minutes the only temperature recorded was CPU which varied between 49 and 65 deg. I last noticed it about 15 seconds before it crashed when it was 52deg. CPU use was mainly round 2% to 5%, but there were occasional spikes, once it rose very briefly to 100%

Attached Files

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Let's try to steps to see if graphics driver may be causing these problems.

• Click on Start and then Control Panel.
  • Click on the System and Maintenance link.
  • Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the Device Manager icon and then proceed to Step 5.
  • In the System and Maintenance window, click on the Device Manager link near the bottom of the window.
  • In Device Manager, right-click your video adapter, and then click Uninstall to remove the video adapter.
  • Restart your computer. After you log on, you receive a New Hardware Found dialog box with Video Controller (VGA Compatible) listed as the description and the Found New Hardware Wizard starts.
  • Click Next to start the wizard.
  • Click search for suitable driver, and then click Next.
  • Click to clear all of the search option check boxes, and then click Next.
  • Click disable the device, and then click Finish.

After you finish the preceding steps, you computer is using the Vga.sys generic video driver, and this is the same VGA driver that is used in Safe mode. Note that Video Controller (VGA Compatible) (with a yellow question mark next to it) is displayed under the Other Devices branch in Device Manager.

After disabing the driver run the computer in Normal mode and let me know if it still shuts down like it has been previously doing.

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I think you may have found it! since un-installing the display driver The machine has been running in normal mode for over an hour. I have been using it continuously and it seems fine. Should I now try and download a new copy of the graphics driver?
Wheelyjohn

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
A new graphics driver would now be in order. What is the make & model of the laptop so we can make sure we get the right driver downloaded?

Advertisements

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
booted up this morning and twice it crashed before completing boot. Went back to safe made and found that the original display driver had been installed again, so removed it and now all is ok. I took the opportunity of noting the display driver details:
SiS Mirage 3 Graphics
driver version 7.14.10.5061 date 14/08/2007

The laptop is Fujitsu Siemans Esprimo Mobile model V5535.

Wheelyjohn

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Let's get that new driver and see how things go.

To download the new graphics driver:

Go to this website.

Under Production Selection choose Mobile Devices
In the next column choose ESPRIMO Mobiles
In the next column choose ESPRIMO Mobile V
In the last column choose ESPRIMO Mobile V5535

On the next page expand Microsoft Windows Vista and choose Windows Vista
On the next page expand Graphic

The driver you need to download is Embedded in SiS M672 Version: 7.14.10.5180 Date: 03.08.2009
After clicking download it will take you to one more page where you will have to check the box to accept terms of use and then click Download to begin the download.

After downloading open the folder and run setup.exe to install the driver.

When done, let me know how things are going. :)

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
driver installed and re-booted but system crashed before fully booted. I have checked in safe mode and the new driver has been installed
Wheelyjohn

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Let's go ahead and make sure there aren't any other drivers that are outdated that could be conflicting with the graphics driver.

Go back to the website we downloaded the graphics driver from and follow to the page you downloaded from and choose DeskUpdate: Automatic driver update. Download and run this program and it should detect any outdated drivers and update them.

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
DeskUpdate reports that there are no drivers in need of updating.
Wheelyjohn

Edited by Wheelyjohn, 22 June 2013 - 07:43 AM.