Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop shuts down [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Wheelyjohn,

Well, not so great news. This appears from best we can tell to be a hardware issue. With all drivers updated and still crashing when Windows is loading with the graphics driver installed this indicates that the crash is likely being caused when the graphics card is attempted to be used by Windows because the graphics card is faulty.

Jasmyne

Advertisements

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have a copy of Microscope diagnostics. I have run all the display tests and they have come up ok in all resolutions. Not an infallible test, but a good indication that the hardware is ok.
Because it crashes so quickly leaving no log or minidump file, it does in a way look like hardware?
Maybe I should try loading a new copy of windows onto a spare disk and see if that will run.
Is there any point in keeping this communication open, or have we reached the end of any reasonable tests that we can do?

Wheelyjohn

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Although it runs well with the Standard VGA drivers, the chip is not put under the same stress as with the regular graphics driver. The thought is though the graphics hardware may not be completely gone yet, it is not performing as it should, meaning it could very well be on it's way out. From a malware standpoint the system is clean and there is only so much tech trouble-shooting I can do, those in the tech forum might be able to help further. You can start a topic here and link them to this topic so they can see what has already been done and see if they have any other possible tests or solutions.

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Before you move on let's clean up the tools we've used.

OTL Cleanup
  • Open OTL
  • Click the CleanUp button at the top, it will ask to reboot your PC, please allow it to do so

Wheelyjohn

Wheelyjohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
As a test, I swapped the HDD and have loaded XP onto it (I don't have a copy of Vista) and downloaded all the drivers. It works fine, but I guess we will never know if it is a software fault, or something different with the Vista driver that the hardware did not like, It had been working fine before this problem started.
Many thanks for all your help, it is now certainly a very well tested laptop with a very obscure fault, I'll have to decide now which way to go with it.

Regards Wheelyjohn

Jasmyne

Jasmyne

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,010 posts
Wheelyjohn,

Thank your for the reply to let me know what was going on. I'm sorry we weren't able to resolve the problem without you having to reformat the machine, but I'm glad the machine is working good again. I'll have my instructor close this thread.

Thank you,

Jasmyne

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.