Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building my first computer - PSU and Mobo wiring

• Please log in to reply

Crystal1nfused

Crystal1nfused

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello everyone!

I recently decided to build my own gaming computer. I have never built before, and it's a new experience for me. I spent the past couple of months reading up and educating myself on the terms and goings-on inside a computer. I ordered my parts and received them from Newegg today. People told me building a computer is fairly easy, but I'm finding it a lot more difficult than I anticipated. I have the Mobo, CPU, GPU, CPU Fan, HDD, and Optical Drive all mounted correctly in the case, however I seem to have hit a wall.

I bought a modular PSU, and I cannot for the life of me figure out what to plug into it, where those plugs go on the mobo, and my other components. I can't even figure out where to plug in the front-panel (I've only succeeded to plug in my CPU fan and the largest mobo wire because it was a no-brainer)

Is there any advice any can give me? The manuals are extremely difficult to understand and I'm starting to get really frustrated. Am I overthinking all of this? Am I making it harder than it has to be?

My motherboard is a P8Z77-V PRO

Posted Image

and my PSU is a SeaSonic X650

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts
Gday Crystal1nfusedPosted Image

PSU manuals are often the worst of all and can get anybody frustrated.
Please supply just a little more information.
Is your PSU on this page. > http://www.seasonicu...650-750-850.htm AS I will need to download the manual.
Please give the brand/model for you other parts.including the case.

Crystal1nfused

Crystal1nfused

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, that is the one! The other components I have are i5-3570k, Cooler Master 212 EVO Cpu Cooler, MSI GTX 660 (twin frozr), a Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD, a basic Asus DVD Optical Drive. My case is a Cooler Master Enforcer.

Thank you so much for the help, it means a lot.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts
Your welcome. Thanks for the update.
It is 1.30am here, so sorry, off to bed,but will post in the morning.
Happen another member may pick this up first.

Crystal1nfused

Crystal1nfused

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Not a problem!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts
Gday.

Please go to this page and download the updated WiFi Go User Manual, (P8Z77-V Series User's Manual (English) 1,48 MBytes 2012.12.21 Update.)update
> https://www.asus.com...ort_Download_30

MB support, if you receive any error messages, go here, > http://support.micro...ormessage/en-us

Please answer all the questions.
Did you ensure that the stand-offs on the MB mounting plate (in the case) match exactly the pattern and number of screw holes in the MB, no extra ones?
Did you remove any protective films on the CPU or bottom of the head-sink?
Was there a pre applied thermal pad on the cooler heat-sink? if not did you apply TIM?
Have you added any additional fans?
PSU should be fitted with the fan facing down. If case stand on a carpet, place on a piece of board or tiles slightly larger than the unit, 1, to prevent it sinking and blocking the intake vent, 2, to prevent fluff being drawn into the PSU and case.

RAM, install to slots A2 and B2, MB/M c2-p5.
SATA signal cable to the HDD, use Socket #1. Gray. connect the Optical Drive, use Socket #3. Blue. MB/M c2-p18 and p19
CPU fan, connect to the CPU system fan header (A). MB/M c2-p23.

Rear fan, connect to the cha-fan 3 © MB/M c2-p23

PSU connection.
20/4 main power, bottom right corner of PSU,
Auxiliary MB 12v, top row, third from the right.
SATA power cable, you will only need a cable with 2 outlets. (picture below, third from the right) Plugs into the PSU, bottom row, second from right.
GPU. (picture) forth from the right. this is an 8 pin plug to the video card that will split, giving you a 6 pin (depending on what the card requires and the extra bit just hang off the side. Plugs into the PSU, top row, left corner.

Had problems, Note, Upload image failed, Please download picture and save> http://www.seasonicu...650-750-850.pdf

Have a BBQ starting, so will post later.
Let me know how you get on.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts
Sorry for the mess up. Please review post #6 as it has been edited. The image below is the PSU socket layout.
I will wait for your reply before continuing with the rest of the connections.