Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Record at a higher resolution

• Please log in to reply

leolol

leolol

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok: Question: I wanna record at 4k. And yes i know that it needs high end hardware, but let that be my problem.
What i don't want: a 4k monitor for 4000$...
Is there a way to record my footage that outputs to a 1080p monitor at a 4k resolution? like a fake softwar 4k display? ^^

Thanks,
Felix

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo Leolol!

Can you provide more detail on what your wanting to do? there are a lot of ways to answer your question.

leolol

leolol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I want to be able to record my gameplay at 4k without really using a 4k monitor.

Thanks, i'm glad to be here :)

Edited by leolol, 13 June 2013 - 02:59 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
you can get 4k resolution for pc gaming by using multiple monitor setup (such as eyefinity). this will give you a resolution for 2560 x 1440. But then you get into a lot of issues about recording multiple monitors. The hardware to do that is expensive. I think an ideal solution would be something like a nice pc monitor such as the Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" Monitor with LED. That is about $800.

however, if your not pc gaming, and this is for a console, you are out of luck. current consoles only do 1080p. If you have a 4k tv, then it will auto scale to the correct the picture. Just like blu-ray players do for dvd's.

Simplicity is what I recommend in this setup. By keeping the complications down to a minium, you will have a better experience. For the pc, as I said a single monitor that can display the output correctly, plus either a new video card or a multi gpu setup (you would be suprised at the amount of work by the gpu for that resolution that has to be done). then you can use fraps to record.

your talking about a beefy system overall to do this well, at least an i7 intel chip, relatively new gpu or multiple gpu's, a large solid state drive, a large data drive, ......

I think you get the idea. It's possible, but expensive to do this at this time. If your going to be sharing these on youtube, recording at 4k is pointless as you will loose all definition due to compression.

leolol

leolol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Don't worry about the hardware, I got a good knowledge of hardware.

I don't want multiple screens, neither do i want a 4k screen.
(I'm on PC).
I want something like a virtual 4k monitor that i can record while playing on my normal 1080p monitor... or a solution similar to this, without adding additional screens or a 4k screen.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, lets approach it from the other way, what are you going to do with it once you have the content?

leolol

leolol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Basically i wanna be one of the first to provide 4k gameplay to youtube. Easy as that, but i don't wanna sit in front of a 4k monitor, as they have huge input lag and are very expensive.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
ok, how about waiting for youtube to support 4k. right now, they do not. In the meantime hw will improve and get cheaper. you can't fake 4k content. Right now, there is simply very little 4k content period. Wait till the curve catches up.

leolol

leolol

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Every game can run 4k on a 4k monitor, so no for what i want to do there's content. Youtube supports the "original" resolution, i have seen 4k footage on youtube.
Don't wanna fake it, i basically wanna output it but then downscale it for my monitor.