Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton's Redirector

• Please log in to reply

frizzie

frizzie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have pentII/400 384 RAM running win98se with Norton Systemworks and personal firewall (2003). I undated my subscription to both in 2/2005.

In April Liveupdate (I run that manually daily) had a redirector update. I allowed it to d/l but when it was in the restart process updating windows configuration files, I heard a loud TWANGE and then a gurgle (from my external speakers), was presented with a black screen with no cursor.

No matter what I did (run in safe mode) restarted several times, I got that same twang. I had to restore a backup (luckily I had backed up the C drive bout 5 days prior to this).

I still have the Jan upgrade of redirector in the symantic folder and all the other updates to anti virus, firewall and security patches seem to be working. I went to the Symantic web site and read about a redirector problem (no twanging tho) and I flatly refuse to uninstall and reinstall their products nor am I gonna pay their help desk people for something that no doubt was wrong with their application.

My questions are has anyone else run into this problem and do I really need to d/l the current version when everything seems to be running fine?

Thanx

-frizz

Advertisements