Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trojan.Agent/Gen-MulDrop [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

stman01

stman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
No, that didn't make a difference. I've had those running together for a few years now and it hasn't been an issue before, that I know of at least. Possible conflict issue noted though.

I even tried to disable my Avast for 10 minutes to see if that was the issue. When Avast does major program updates, I've noticed that slows my computer until they put in a new update to fix it. It happens to a lot of people, I've checked their forum before. But disabling Avast for 10 minutes doesn't make it any faster either, so that's not the issue.

This is just a little frustrating. It didn't start to slow down until I found those trojans, which appear to be gone. I was hoping once they were gone it would be back to the way it was pre-trojans. It was never insanely fast, but it didn't load images/pages the way it is right now. I have google as my homepage and even that takes forever to load now. And that's hardly any imagery. It takes me hours to view 2-3 webpages now. Images load slowly (like blurry pixels and then slowly get clearer). Even mostly text only pages like this forum loads slow.

Thank you for your help so far, any other ideas, please let me know. I'll check back here again tomorrow.

Okay, now I've noticed something new. When I log out of here, it shows this post, but it shows those double green lines under some of the words and if I hover my mouse over them little ads pop up. I know that isn't normal. So that's a new issue. One shows up as being called "ad choices." The other 3 don't come up with a name, but there are four total.

Edited by stman01, 16 June 2013 - 10:21 PM.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Okay, now I've noticed something new. When I log out of here, it shows this post, but it shows those double green lines under some of the words and if I hover my mouse over them little ads pop up. I know that isn't normal. So that's a new issue. One shows up as being called "ad choices." The other 3 don't come up with a name, but there are four total.

These links may be of interest:

http://adsense.blogs...l-and-icon.html

https://support.goog...r/1631343?hl=en

http://choice.microsoft.com/en-US

You might try running your browsers without Add-ons and see if that makes a difference.

How to start Firefox in Safe Mode

Go to Firefox > Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled.

Firefox will start with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.

And

Try IE by clicking:

Start > All programs > Accessories > System tools > Internet Explorer [no add-ons]

Tell me if there is any change.

Also have you tried resetting your modem? Sometimes that can help.

Next

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run.

• Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center/Action Center
  • Windows Update
  • Other Services

[*]Press Scan
[*]A log (FSS.txt) will be created in the same directory the tool is run.
[*]Copy and paste the log back here.
[/list]When you return please post
  • OTL.txt
  • FSS.txt

stman01

stman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Well, you're a genius. Resetting the modem seems to have worked. I'll have to remember that if this somehow happens again and I don't have a virus/malaware. Google comes up the way it used to and more image heavy sites are coming up like they used to too. Would you still like me to do the two logs? I haven't done those yet, but it seems to be fixed now so I wasn't sure if you still wanted me to. Let me know, I can certainly still do that.

Also, if you tell me no logs are needed now, is it okay if I remove all the programs you had me download (TDSSkiller, Security check, ComboFix, FRST and JRT)? Also, thank you very much for your help. It's greatly appreciated.

Edited by stman01, 17 June 2013 - 05:49 PM.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello stman01,

Would you still like me to do the two logs?

No I don't think it is necessary. I wasn't seeing anything in your logs.

I think your machine is good to go now.

One thing I would say is that modems don't last forever. Might be just that your modem needed resetting something that got scrambled or it might be the beginning of failure. Something to keep in mind...

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware. This will also clean out and reset your Restore Points.

• Go to Start > Programs > Accessories and click on Run
  • Copy and paste the the bolded text below in the box then hit OK

Combofix /Uninstall

Posted Image
Step 2
  • Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

MBAM can be uninstalled via control panel add/remove but it may be a useful tool to keep.

Any other tools remaining may be deleted.

Step 2

Next, we need to clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if uninstalled during cleaning) update and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Java warning

Java is a popular point of entry to your computer for malicous programs. The United States Department of Homeland Security recommends that computer users disable Java see here. Unless you need it to run an important software the safest approach is to completely uninstall Java. Where you do require it then the next safest option is to disable it in your browsers until you need it, then enable it.

How to diasble Java in your web browser and How to unplug Java from the browser

If you do still need Java then regularly check that it is up to date. Older versions are the most vunerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future:

If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
* Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
* Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.

A fun way to check your online safety literacy.

Quiz - getsafeonline

Have a safe and happy computing day!

stman01

stman01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I've completed all of the above. Thanks again for your help. You may close this thread.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.