Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird problems - I have lost all hope

• Please log in to reply

thgingerbreadboy

thgingerbreadboy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, this is my first time on the forum and I hope someone can help:

My pc's issues:

Properties will not show for anything (desktop, folders, my computer)
It will not find any usb-connected devices (external hard drives, usb sticks, phones, tablets, etc.)
It will not play sound, and says there is something wrong with my sound card configuration, and when I look for my sound card, it says it doesn't exist.
It will not run regedit (says it doesn't exist)

Also, in my explorer, it now shows a window without text with a heading saying Microsoft .NET Framework. The box contains two red crosses: one left, and one right. The one on the left, when clicked, gives an extended menu with details about just-in-time (JIT) debugging. - this seems to be solved by closing the extra address bar I had installed

In general, the biggest problem is probably me having been deleting important files in the cleaning of my computer (and I hadn't made a backup) <-- I definitely regret this.

Also, I have deleted most of windows programs (like MS Word and MS Powerpoint) I think this would also be solved if I just re-installed windows, so I believe the easiest option is to completely reset my computer and wipe everything from my hard disk(s), but I don't know how to do that.

My pc specs:

Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3(5. 1, Build 2600)
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Temporary memory: 171MB used, 2291MB available
DirectX-version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Any advise would be appreciated

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: thgingerbreadboy

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

If your computer is a brand name there is a possibility that it may have a recovery partition on the HDD.

Do you have an XP or a system restore disk for the computer.

thgingerbreadboy

thgingerbreadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
All I know is that it is a desktop and the specs I mentioned earlier. My uncle gave it to me, and I guess it is a custom build, because he does quite a lot with computers (It is part of his job). It is however, hard to get in contact with him because we aren't very close. Was this information useful?

Edited by thgingerbreadboy, 10 June 2013 - 03:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
If the case doesn`t have a visible brand name on it then it suggests that it may be a custom build, this makes it less likely but not impossible that it has a recovery partition on the HDD.

Do you have an XP or a system restore disk for the computer.

thgingerbreadboy

thgingerbreadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I wouldn't know to be honest... Is it possible to download something like that and burn it onto a cd?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

I wouldn't know to be honest... Is it possible to download something like that and burn it onto a cd?

Unfortunately there are no legitimate full XP OS ISOs available to download but you can download and burn a Recovery Console disk, please refer to the information below provided courtesy of Artellos;

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: the exact same version of XP that you have installed
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Extra Files.
  • Please copy the codebox below into the text area.

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

• The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

Another option that you may have but only if you have the 25 digit product key (COA) would be to borrow an XP disk that is the same as what you have and use that disk for a Repair installation.

The COA (code of authenticity) sticker is commonly found on the side or the rear of a desktop computer and the base of a notebook (or sometimes in the battery compartment).

thgingerbreadboy

thgingerbreadboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I could try that, but the pc in question isn't in a state to download anything (I am using this forum by iPad), also, the pc won't accept any kind of usb or anything, so downloading and moving will be a big issue, anything else I could do?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
You need access to a working computer to create the Recovery disk, if this is not possible then you would need to borrow an XP disk.

The COA (code of authenticity) sticker is commonly found on the side or the rear of a desktop computer

Have you checked for one of these.

Try "Last Known Good Configuration"

1.Start your computer.
2.Keep tapping the F8 key.
3.When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
4.If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Let us know how it goes.