Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSoD multiple stop errors

• Please log in to reply

yeschiro

yeschiro

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Current error is 0x4e but have seen 0x24, and 0x50... it has been changing with the blue screen being constant after XP splash screen. Safe mode or any other option creates same outcome.

Able to boot mini XP from Hiren's Boot cd, but dont know what to do to repair. Ran chkdsk to no avail. Just changed the error code.

XP came preloaded on this 2nd hand machine so I dont have a hard copy but do have a key sticker on the machine for XP Pro.

Dell Optiplex gx280
Cant remember ram but i usually max it.
XP Pro

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts
Hi,yeschiro, With Dell Optiplex gx 280's its always wise to take a look at the capacitors inside your machine.
(there should be a dozen or more visible)

Examine them visually (but don't touch them)
look for signs of:

1 The top surface of the cap being anything other than completely flat
2 if the cap tops are bulging, even slightly(Convex)
3 or there is any signs of discolouration on the cap or surrounding mobo
4 Any exudate visible?(often brown in colour)
5 The vents in the top of the cap should appear as marks across the top of the cap, but should not be open in any respect or even bulge.

If any of these symptoms are present then please provide details and we will advise the next steps
Regards
paws

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
0x4e and 0x50 points to a ram issue, if I was you I would verify if your ram is working properly by downloading the iso boot image of the program MEMTEST86 http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm and test each ram stick one at a time. Also verify that your ram are the right models for your computer and that they match if your using them in double sided combination.

0x24 is usually caused by a NFTS file system error, it can be because of a malfunctionning HD or a corrupt file system and since you already ran CHECKDISK I would down the test program (boot iso file) of your Hard Drive brand.

Hope that helps

yeschiro

yeschiro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I got lucky and the first RAM stick I pulled out must have been the issue because the system started up. Have some new memory on order but it is working for now.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 523 posts
Hiyeschiro,
That's good to hear
Well done on fixing it.
Regards
paws

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

I got lucky and the first RAM stick I pulled out must have been the issue because the system started up. Have some new memory on order but it is working for now.

Glad to hear it is now working but since you did not specify your exact method I must ask if you tested your ram or did did you just pulled one stick of ram and it started.

The reason I am asking is that if you just pulled out one stick maybe your ram is faulty but also maybe the ram is good but the ram slot it was in was malfunctioning. As a test if I was you I would put the suspected faulty ram into another ram slot to see if your system will boot up normally or if it would give you the same errors.