Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive not being recognised but its connected?

• Please log in to reply

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
my external hdd was working fine till yesterday. i plugged it in and it seems not to be working and coming up in my computer so i can access. it shows that connected on device manager however when i go to disk management it is not there. Can anyone help !!! i have tried everything

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: saintsfc1

What is the brand and model name or number of the HDD.

Have you tried connecting the HDD to another USB port or another computer.

If the HDD has an external power supply have you checked that it is receiving power from the wall socket.

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
its a seagate STBX1000201,have tried it on a different computer and usb port exactly the same result.and power is going top driver through the usb cable has light flashes and hear beeping noises when you connect it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You have said that you have tried everything does that include the Seagate troubleshooters http://knowledge.sea...US/FAQ/194531en and http://www.seagate.com/support/ if yes then we should try and secure any important data on the device before going any further.

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
yes have tried all of this, be good if i can save the files as have alot of important files on it

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Try Puppy Linux to see if that can retrieve your data;
===================
***Required Hardware***
CD Burner (CDRW) Drive,
Blank CD,
Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)

===================

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:
  • Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-520.iso)
    Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer
  • Extract All files to a location you can remember
  • Double Click Posted Image BurnCDCC
  • Click Browse Posted Image and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded
  • Open/Double Click that file
    IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x
  • Click Start Posted Image
  • Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically
  • Insert a blank CD and close the tray
  • Click OK
Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created
2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second
  • Start the computer/press the power button
  • Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup"
    (Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen)
  • Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to:
    CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd
  • Open your ROM drive and insert the disk
  • Press F10 to save and exit
  • Agree with "Y" to continue
  • Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD

Posted Image

3. Recover Your Data
  • Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM). You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer". Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning. Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy. To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once. Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to. This is normal. Ready? Let's get started.

3a. Mount Drives[list]
  • Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. Posted Image
  • A Window will open. By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted. Click on Mount for your hard drive.
  • Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount.
  • USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted.
  • If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab. Mount it now.
3b. Transfer Files.
  • At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon.
  • Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1
  • Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1
  • If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows)
  • From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window.
For The Novice: The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each idividual name of each user. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos.

Remember to only click once! No double clicking! Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy. Choose COPY each time you drag and drop.

YOU ARE DONE!!! Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer. Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations!

Note that there might be some other Puppy distros on the page (such as Slacko Puppy), but you need Lucid Puppy (lupu), the Ubuntu-based one. Always make sure you start downloading a file that starts with "lupu"!

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
okay cheers i will have a go at this first cheers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok and good luck with it :thumbsup:

The directions are primarily for an internal HDD so some of the steps can be omitted, as long as you are able to mount the external Seagate HDD you have a good chance of data recovery.

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
okay will give it a go , if this doesnt work any more solution ? i have a feeling there could be something with the drive ( possibly the boot files ) on the drive

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
We will cross that bridge when we come to it as for now I am hoping that you can retrieve your data and if a warranty is in place you can get a new HDD, you can never trust a HDD that has shown signs of instability.

Advertisements

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
have tried your solution and its hasn't worked. when connecting the drive it wouldnt show down the bottom with all of the other drives.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Some additional questions if I may;

Is the device covered by a warranty.
How much free storage space was/is available on the HDD.
Is the USB cable for the device interchangeable so that it can be swapped.
Have you run Seatools http://knowledge.sea...US/FAQ/202435en, please only let us know if you have as any testing stresses the HDD which should be avoided at present.

If the device is not covered by a warranty as a last resort you could remove the HDD and either fit it into a desktop computer or use an external HDD enclosure or adapter to try and access the data.

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
am not sure on the warranty situation :/ there must of been about 850gig left on there. yes usb cable can be switches. and already have tried connecting directly to the motherboard. Am unable to run sea tools has its not being recognised by pc. when connecting the drive to the computer i hear a beep from the computer and its shows that its running correctly in device manager.

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I assume you are a supporter of Southampton FC mate which is good as you are a Brit like Phil and I.

Can you remember when you bought the external drive at all?

saintsfc1

saintsfc1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
it was a t the beginning at january

and yea saints supporter :)