Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Wont Boot!

• Please log in to reply

scoutly

scoutly

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried so many things to get this to work. Right now my computer wont boot. I have no display on my monitor, but i know it is working. My motherboard is giving me a red light. All this happened after I tried installing a new 1gb ram. So far I have tried resetting cmos, removing all ram to see if i get any beeps ( i get nothing with or without ram installed), I have swapped out my power supply. I have even moved my video card and power supply and ram to another machine with a different motherboard and processor which is where i am now. Before I switched to this computer I was getting similar errors except the light on the motherboard was green. I turn on the power to the computer and i can hear fans runing and the hard drives starting up. Please help!!!!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday scoutly, Posted Image
Please give us a little more information. The specs for the original computer where you had the problems.

MB?
CPU?
RAM?
PSU?
GPU?

The new RAM you tried to install?
The known working PSU?

scoutly

scoutly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have an ati radeon 5570
Processor is amd phenom 9850

2 2gb ddr2 ram installed and was only trying to add one more gb. They are all of g.skill brand. I also had a stick of what looks like half of a ram stick. it is a kingston kpr6400/2gr, but i don't know exactly what this is.

My psu is thermaltake tr2-rx-850.

motherboard is ASUS M4A785-M

Edited by scoutly, 12 June 2013 - 06:12 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the info.

I also had a stick of what looks like half of a ram stick. it is a kingston kpr6400/2gr, but i don't know exactly what this is.

Having problems tracing the RAM specified, Please check the specs again, there should be more on the stick unless the label is missing...KPR comes up as Notebook, SO Dimm.

If possible, a picture would be useful.

scoutly

scoutly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, i can be more specific. the stickers say they are ddr2-800 pc2-6400 1gbx2 (above that they say f2-6400cl5d-2gbnq) When it was working I had two of those installed as well as the kingston. I had bought this pc from someone already built so i'm really not sure what that little one is. The one i was trying to install is very similar to the other 2, except it is 1gb (ddrii1gb pc2-6400 | f2-6400cl5d-2gbnq)

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Can you see that odd stick of RAM.
> http://thesimpel.blo...finisi-ram.html
> http://www.techrepub...se-tips/1058485

scoutly

scoutly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have attatched a photo of the ram

http://imgur.com/o6NdG1d

Edited by scoutly, 13 June 2013 - 08:54 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
The 2 makes of RAM are not compatible..

Kingston
Model: KVR800D2/GR
Type: 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Capacity: 2GB
Speed: DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Cas Latency: 5
Voltage: 1.8 -2.0
VUPC Code: 740617135152
Timing: 5-6-6-18-24 2T at DDR2 800 AND 4-5-5-15-20 2T at DDR2 667

G.Skill.
Cas Latency 5
Voltage 1.8
Timing Different. 5-5-5-15
> http://us.hardware.i...:specifications

scoutly

scoutly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
But that stick of ram has been in there working fine for over 2 years. The computer still won't run even without that stick now

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
The subject seems a little muddled so we need to clear things up.

Post #1, you said,

"My motherboard is giving me a red light."
MB manual, standby power LED, green on, or off, Cannot find any ref, to a red light.
Q. Where is the red light??

"All this happened after I tried installing a new 1gb ram."
Q. Did you have the 2 sticks of G.Sklill installed?
Q. Which stick of ram did you add, the Kingston standard length, or the Kingston short one?
Q. Have you at any time tried installing the short DIMM?

MB manual.
Always install DIMMs of the same CAS latency.
Supports 1 DIMM inserted into any slot, runs as single sided.
Supports 2 DIMMs, 1 matching pair in slots 1& 2 OR 3 & 4, duel channel.
Supports 4 DIMMs, 2 matching pairs in all slots.
Does not support, 1 a pair in slots 1&2 OR 3 & 4 + a single DIMM installed in any other slot..
Post #5, Part of what you said.
"the stickers say they are ddr2-800 pc2-6400 1gbx2 (above that they say f2-6400cl5d-2gbnq) When it was working I had two of those installed as well as the Kingston.

Please clarify as this is different from Post #1. "

But that stick of ram has been in there working fine for over 2 years. The computer still won't run even without that stick now

Which computer please is this installed on?