Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet interference driving me insane!

• Please log in to reply

Jaybarker

Jaybarker

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am losing my mind over this issue.. Nobody has ever heard of this problem and I can't figure out how to solve it... First I will start by saying I live in a brand new house(march2013) and am using the gateway 2wire 2701hg-g modem... Every time someone turns on the water, be it flushing toilet, washer, dishwasher or just the tap my internet gets cut out for 30-40 seconds... It doesn't seem like much but when you are trying to stream something or game online it gets very frustrating... I tried different plugs, had the service tech out, new modems and wires I have run out of ideas other than possibly a frequency issue, but there are no problems with anything other than the internet... It is happening with wired connections too not just wireless... I am just hoping someone has come across this issue before or at least a fresh perspective on what I can try

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
does your house have water pressure issues? something that would require a pump or something like that to get water to and from the taps?

in an industrial setting you can have issues with electronics that are on the same circuit as an inductive load, such as a pump motor. same thing applies at a house. if you've got some kind of inductive load that spins up when you request water from the system, it could be causing interference on the electrical side.

the only thing I can think of to prevent this would be to identify the inductive load and fix it's problems, or maybe get a line conditioner on the power outlet that has the modem/router. you can, I think, find a stand alone line conditioner, but you'd be more likely to find a UPS (uninterruptable power supply) that has line conditioning as a feature.

Jaybarker

Jaybarker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
never noticed if there were pressure issues but we do have a constant pressure system so we don't lose water pressure if someone is in the shower and washing machine is on or toilet is flushed. there are no issues with anything other than the internet could this still be the problem

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
at this point anything COULD be the problem. there SHOULD be nothing related between your water supply and any electrical device in your house (unless your water supply is leaking on your electrical devices). spinning motors (pumps) tend to be a pretty good source of interference. most of the time they cause interference in a data network by being too close to transmission media (like an Ethernet cable) but they can also behave as I described earlier by creating an electrical disturbance. of course, if there is a pump in your constant pressure system, it could be too close to the data cables for your connection, like the incoming cable connection or phone line (depending on what type of internet you have).

it could even be aliens. you might want to invest in some new headgear

Posted Image