Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slowwwwww Internet

• Please log in to reply

TheSunOnHisBack

TheSunOnHisBack

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Have 2 laptops, 1 is superfast so know the other one has a problem and not the WIFI connection.

Samsung NC110 - so not too old.

Have tried everything including Samsung Auto Recovery to restore factory settings - but while surfing, it takes forever, I mean laptop hangs for minutes, and sometimes cannot even get to the page. Problem only started 2 weeks ago.

Noticed the memory in task manager is showing at 70% and maxed out with little left over but CPU seems to be fine.

I keep thinking something is running in background but can't find anything.

Any help appreciated.

Pedro.

Advertisements

TheSunOnHisBack

TheSunOnHisBack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Anyone ? :help:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: TheSunOnHisBack

Sorry that you have waited longer than we would like to receive a reply.

Saying that you have tried everything does not help us make appropriate suggestion/s so can you tell what you have tried.

TheSunOnHisBack

TheSunOnHisBack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Phil, well, disk fragment, mse security scan, combo fix, adw cleaner, rkil, tdss killer, malwarebytes with no joy, then restored to factory settings and started afresh.

Pete

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the additional information Pete :thumbsup:

I am unable to comment on the malware scans that you have done as that is a task that only the staff on the malware forums are qualified and permitted to do.

Couple of questions if I may;
When you did the factory restore was Norton also restored.
Is Windows fully up to date**
Have you tried a Ping test http://www.pingtest.net/

** The start of the issue may have been caused by an update so as part of the troubleshooting procedure you may need to uninstall the updates up to the day before the problem began.

andrascymru

andrascymru

• Pip
  • 1 posts
not enough info dude. I always found add ons,flash and java issues to be a cause of long hangs.

TheSunOnHisBack

TheSunOnHisBack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Thanks for the additional information Pete :thumbsup:

I am unable to comment on the malware scans that you have done as that is a task that only the staff on the malware forums are qualified and permitted to do.

Couple of questions if I may;
When you did the factory restore was Norton also restored.
Is Windows fully up to date**
Have you tried a Ping test http://www.pingtest.net/

** The start of the issue may have been caused by an update so as part of the troubleshooting procedure you may need to uninstall the updates up to the day before the problem began.

Thanks !

Norton was reinstalled but I uninstalled it - I only use MSE
Windows as in MSE is up to date.
I'll try the pingtest - I'm currently checking Chrome and TrustedInstaller.Exe issues as these seem to hogging most of the Ram.
I also ran a performance test via Samsung and reported "The system is experiencing heavy paging"

I'll go and try the pingtest but have to instal Java first - this will take a while ha ha !! :(

TheSunOnHisBack

TheSunOnHisBack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

not enough info dude. I always found add ons,flash and java issues to be a cause of long hangs.

Its just a basic install, don't have Java yet but require it for the PingTest

TheSunOnHisBack

TheSunOnHisBack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I've just checked Windows Update, and there is a mountain of updates pending so I better wait until these are successfully installed and see if things improve - my re install went all the way back to 14/7/11 so that's 2 years of updates to download and install.

Not wholly convinced as the problem was there before all this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

I've just checked Windows Update, and there is a mountain of updates pending so I better wait until these are successfully installed and see if things improve - my re install went all the way back to 14/7/11 so that's 2 years of updates to download and install.

Not wholly convinced as the problem was there before all this.

I agree as I was referring to recent updates as in just over two weeks ago right before the issue started.

TheSunOnHisBack

TheSunOnHisBack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Phil .... some sort of bug, downloaded all MS updates, ran MSE scan, disk defragmenter, throw everything at it - everything now razar sharp.

Can't tell you the exact problem, but have been cured :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
You are welcome and thanks for the follow up TheSunOnHisBack :thumbsup:

It may have been caused by either a bad update or an update that did not install correctly first time - both are not uncommon.

Any further problems please let us know.

TheSunOnHisBack

TheSunOnHisBack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi Phil, you just beat me to my follow up. Yesterday very good, but today, we seem to be going into reverse again - what I'm noticing is that the ram is being taken up to max capacity, 87% +

Pete

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi Pete,

Lets see if we can pinpoint what is using up the Ram;

How did the Ping test go BTW?

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop information :thumbsup:

NB: An example of the url that we require and the information that it leads to http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/sec.asp?conid=25271813