Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Home network problem!

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
So, to change the WORKGROUP, do I need to start from scratch setting up the connection through the wizard or is there some OTHER way to change it? :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Nope.. should be a setting right inside the Network Connection area..

Murray

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Changed the WorkGroup so they match up, but it still doesn't work. Man, I am really getting ticked off here.

Could it be the Hub I'm using? But Can ping each other....this is really disheartening!

:tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Hello there, I noticed in your first post that you have them connected with the correct cable. That issue was never clearly discussed except for the question about it being Cat5 to which the response was yes. If you are connecting directly from one computer to another, you need to have a crossover cable. To determine if the cable you are using is a crossover cable:

Unplug both ends from their connections.
Holding one in each hand, both ends with tab down, wiring order should be as follows:
One end should be -
orange/white | orange | green/white | blue | blue/white | green | brown/white | brown

The other end should have -
green/white | green | orange/white | blue | blue/white | orange | brown/white | brown

If your cable does not look like this, I would recommend getting one that does.

Greazy Mcgeezy

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
If I connect with JUST the cable (haven't checked it yet) will the one computer be able to use the internet through the other computer? Or do I need to use a hub?

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Well, if you are not using a hub, then you could use a crossover cable. If you are using a hub, then each machine will connect to it with a standard patch cable. Since you are questioning the hub, I would connect the computers together with the crossover cable. Then you would have the other connection(internet/modem) coming into the other network adapter on the first PC. That adapter is the one that needs to have ICS turned on. That will set the IP of the adapter that is connected to the second PC as 192.168.0.1 (default). You can keep those settings, the second computer could be 192.168.0.? If it doesn' t get an address assigned that would be the numbers to use. If it automatically gets an IP address, then you should be in business, and as long as the other computer is connected to the internet, then you should be on. The ICS doesn't really even care about Workgroup, it's using TCP/IP, basically functioning as a router. Workgroup is a NetBios operation, has nothing to do with use of the internet. That will only matter as far as your file sharing goes.

Greazy Mcgeezy