Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All my desktop icons have become word icons

• Please log in to reply

munyash

munyash

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I logged onto my desktop yesterday and all my icons are word documents. When I open them they open as word programs and give me an error. have run a Kaspersky anti virus check but to no avail. I reied to restore the machine to the period before that but the restore period only goes to a time after the problem. I am running Windows 7. Can you help?

Advertisements

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hello,

This is only a temporary work around but if you know which program they should be opening with, you can right-click on the file, choose open-with and choose select default program. This will open a box and you just need to choose what program you want the program to open in.

Ideally, we need to find why this happened first place.

Can you think of any changes that happened around the time?

Thank you, Masher92.

munyash

munyash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your response. A flash disk was inserted to the computer and I think this is what brought about the changes. I have tried using Kaspersky antivirus to establish the problem but to no avail.

munyash

munyash

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your response. A flash disk was inserted to the computer and I think this is what brought about the changes. I have tried using Kaspersky antivirus to establish the problem but to no avail.

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Did the right-clicking and using open with -> choose default program work on the files you've tried it on?

For example, you have a PDF, you set the default program to Adobe Reader.

Thank you.