Welcome to the forums!
. My name is godawgs
and I will be assisting you with your Virus / Malware issues.
We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at GeeksToGo we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.
I will start working on your Malware issues. This may, or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!If you have since resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please inform me so that this topic can be closed.If you have not, please adhere to the guidelines below and then carefully follow all future instructions:You must reply to posts within four days
. If you haven't replied within that time, the topic will be closed! If you need additional time to complete things, just let me know.If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, Do NOT continue!
Stop and ask!
This board can notify you when a new reply is added to a topic. Please read this topic
to find out how to do that.Please do not run any tools unless instructed to do so.
Please read every post completely before doing anything.
- We ask you to run different tools in a specific order to ensure the malware is completely removed from your machine, and running any additional tools may detect false positives, interfere with our tools, or cause unforeseen damage or system instability. Do as the instructions ask, nothing extra. Do Not run things twice unless instructed.
- Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.
- If I ask a Question just answer it, don't run anything unless directed to.
Logs from malware diagnostic or removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze.
- Pay special attention to the NOTE: lines, or anything in red. These entries identify an individual issue or important step in the cleanup process.
- Please make sure you are saving and printing the instructions out prior to each fix, this way you will have them on hand just in case you are unable to access this site. Some of the steps I will be asking you to do may require you to boot into Safe Mode and this process will be much easier for you to perform if the instructions are printed out for you to follow.
- Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post unless directed otherwise.
- I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post. Please remember, I am a volunteer, and I do have a life outside of these forum, (sometimes )
- Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
Lastly, Please be aware that removing Malware is a hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system
. Some infections are so severe that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system. Don't worry
, this only happens in severe cases, but, sadly, it does happen.In light of this be prepared to back up your data. Have means of backing up your data available
Change your browser(s) to download any tools to the desktop.
Follow the directions here
For FireFox check the dot beside "Always ask me where to save files."
For Chrome, check the box beside "Ask where to save each file before downloading"NOTE: IE8
Does not support changing download locations in this manner. You will need to download the tool(s) to the default folder, usually Downloads
, then copy them to the desktop.
I am going to need some additional information but you should know up front that we may not be able to retrieve the encrypted files. Depending on what program was used to encrypt them and what has been done to remove the ransomeware to this point.1.
Was the notification that you posted above he exact notification?2.
Are you able to boot into Windows normally?3.
If not, are you able to boot into Safe Mode?4.
Have you run any removal programs or tools to try to remove the ransomware?Things For Your Next Post:Please post the logs in the order requested. Do Not
attach the logs unless I request it.1.
Answer my questions above please