Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Harddrive is showing up as CD Drive

• Please log in to reply

kirehikari

kirehikari

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an external hard drive that was given to me to use but it only shows up as a cd drive and I cannot go into it or anything and it cannot be reformatted. I only get internet when I go into town so whenever anyone has time to help me please ask all your questions you can think of as much ahead of time as possible please so when I get online I can get all your answers at one. It's brand is WD. It is encased and it isn't one that opens up. Thank you ahead of time for any help. :) Much appreciated!

Blessings.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: kirehikari

Not sure what OS you are using XP, Vista, W7/8 etc but have you checked Disk Management;

Go to Start > Run > type diskmgmt.msc (type it in the search field for Vista or Win7/8)

If the drive is recognized you may be able to format it.

If no joy can you tell us which particular model WD the device is.

Have you checked with the person who gave you the HDD that it does work and that it is not password protected.