Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wise installmaster replacement

• Please log in to reply

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
for years I've used wise installmaster for creating and distributing simple scripts to end users at work. normally its for updating registry settings for a paticular software, adding a trusted site, ect. We are finally adopting windows 7 and the old software won't work for us any longer. any suggestions?

Advertisements

masher92

masher92

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
Hi Starjax,

Are you using a Windows domain environment?

If so, can you use group policy to deploy these settings/changes?

Any settings or changes that I cannot deploy using the default options in group policy and believe me this a rare occurrence, especially in 2008R2, I do one of the following:
1. Create a script, whether this be a batch file or vbs, that will make the changes I want and then deploy that script from group policy so it applies to all the users.
2. Download or create custom ADM/ADMX files to use with group policy.

As an example if I wanted to change add a registry setting, I'd use a batch file and the REG ADD command to create a script and then just deploy this through group policy under the scripts section.

Is this the type of thing you are looking for? or Are you looking more for third-party software that will help create the scripts as well as deploy them?

Thank you, Masher92.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
that is probably what they are doing. I passed the bucket, as it where, to the ad team with managers blessings.