Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installed add'l memory and pc won't boot

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello folks, canned duly provided below :thumbsup:

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) or VGA port again to try and get a BIOS screen.

Example of MB power pins;

Advertisements

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Guys --- The motherboard is out of the case and I have it on a card table. I have 1 stick of memory (slot closest to CPU) and the PSU with the 4 pin and 24 pin connectors in place. When I jump to start the CPU fan comes on and I get the 2 beeps. Just for grins I hooked up the monitor hoping for a bios screen but of course, no look.

If the route I should take is a new MB, I've seen some on the Internet for around $65 that look like original replacesments (probably used or rebuilt). Don't know enough about it to know if this is a good deal or not. And since I've never done this, does a new MB impact any of my software licenses?

So, do I have a next step to take?

And thanks for you help - I am learning a few things..........

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello LCK

If the card table has a felt covering do you also have a large piece of cardboard beneath the MB.
I suggest a close inspection of the MB using a magnifying glass, take a close look at the memory slots and surrounding areas and the underside of the MB beneath the memory slots, look for cracks in the MB itself any breaks in the soldered circuits and the condition of the capacitors http://cquirke.mvps.org/badcaps.htm

Once the above is done try all combinations of Ram in each slot both with and without the add on video card fitted and connected to the screen, if the outcome is the same two beeps it does suggest that the MB has expired.

Are you using the replacement PSU for the testing.

Replacing the MB with the exact same MB would save you a lot of time and trouble both with your present hardware which will be compatible and your OS as you are allowed to replace a failed MB with an exact replacement or a same brand replacement if the original MB is no longer available, you may need to reactivate Windows by telephone if the latter option is required.

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Have found no visible problems following your remaining instructions. Yes, MB is on a cardboard and I have tried all with both the the old and new PSU.

Looks like my only alternative at this point is to order another MB. I have seen some on the Internet that are refurbished at an acceptable price. I will order tomorrow and let you know how it goes after it is received and installed.

Thanks again for the assistance.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Thanks for the update.

we await, with bated breath, for your next reply with success in bold.

Good luck.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Apparently there were 5 different MBs used in the 530 model Dell Inspiron range of computer so can you tell us what brand and model name or number MB is in yours, please include any revision number (rev 1.0 etc) the reason that I am asking this is so as to confirm that your present MB does have an integrated video chip and that the VGA port on it is not in fact a dummy port (I recall that you said it had a plug in it).

Quick suggestion before you place an order LCK, remove and inspect the CPU first and do it the following way as an additional check;

To soften the thermal paste first power up your barebones set-up, allow it to shut down then remove the power cord and screen cable etc, remove the cooling fan and heatsink from atop the CPU (slightly turn the HS left/right to break the bond of the cured thermal paste) feel the top of the CPU, if the CPU is warm to the touch it suggests that the CPU and the 4 pin 12V ATX socket on the MB are ok, if the CPU is cold to the touch it suggests that the CPU is not getting power from the 4 pin 12V ATX socket and that the MB has expired.

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
MB is a FOXCONN G33M02 REV A01 -- Bar code starts off with CN-0RY007-*****

I did say the VGA port had a plug in it -- It did flicker when I started up, but thats all so I figured it must be getting a little something.

Also did as you suggested to test wtiht the barebones setup. I powered things up and let it run for about 5 minutes. Immediately removed the cooling fan and heatsink -- no bond from the thermal paste as it looked like it had dried out long ago. CPU was cool to touch -- no heat whatsoever....

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I think Phillpower2 is correct, the boad is dead.
Specs, > http://www.findlapto...s-8272010h1149/
has integrated graphics, Intel (GMA 3100)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the update LCK, sorry to hear that it is not better news though :(

Thanks for your input iammykyl :thumbsup:

As an asides LCK I suggest that you have the PSU tested before you consider using it again, you can do a basic test yourself with a multi meter however it is only a basic test to check if the PSU was what possibly caused damage to the MB or CPU.

LCK

LCK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thanks for your help guys -- It looks like we can close this one out........... I installed the new Motherboard and also the additional memory. So far, all seems to be back in order with the new memory also being recognized. Not sure what caused my initial problems, but I'm more than pleased to fix this with a small expense and have the machine up and running again.

Again -- Thanks for the support and your help!!!!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday LCK.
Your welcome, Posted Image
Great to hear the problem is fixed.
We also, thank you for posting a final result.
NB. Topics are not closed so if an issue persists, you can add on. If it is a new problem, please start a new topic.

Good luck from the team.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Ditto to what iammykyl has said :thumbsup: