Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to navigate in Windows Advanced Options menu on XP

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi,

I am trying to boot into one of the many options found on the Windows Advanced Options menu. I have no problem pressing the F8 key on my keyboard to enter the WAO menu though once I get there I am unable to navigate with my up/down arrows to choose an option to boot into.

I have tried 2 different keyboards. Same problem with both.

Once I enter the WAO menu, default choice that is highlighted is Start Windows Normally. Pressing the Enter key to boot into Windows normally produces no joy either.

The computer (Dell Optiplex GX240 desktop WXP Pro) otherwise boots fine in normal mode and I have no issues using the keyboard to type with.

Any ideas that might help me to resolve this little problem?

Thank you,

Donna :)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Silly question.. Is it a USB keyboard or PS2 ? If USB is that option enabled in BIOS

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Not a silly question at all!

Both keyboards that I tried are Dell PS2's.

Only other keyboard I have is a mi wireless 2.4 GHz. Haven't tried that yet.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok. Now this is weird. Just restarted tapping the F2 key to get into Set up and the up/down arrows work. Was given the option to navigate to Safe Mode. I have success! :thumbsup:

Thank you essexboy!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
You do know that computers have a mind of their own and do all they can to annoy you. Once they have done that they then behave normally :lol:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Boy! You're not a kidding. F2 was supposed to take me to the BIOS screen yet I got the Windows Advanced Boot menu!!! So, whilst playing around I tried booting to BIOS again and now the arrows keys are froze..... again! :help:

Can't figure out if it's the keyboard or the computer. I know it's pretty old. At one time it had W2 installed. :o At least that's what the sticker says!

If I perform a hard shut down while it is in the BIOS, I won't fry the little baby will I? :upset:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I would not have thought so, as you have not altered anything

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Perfect! :thumbsup:

Cotutor

Cotutor

• PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
Donna,
I know this is a bit late to reply, but just in case you are still working on this box.
It's very unlikely that you have 2 keyboards with the same issue, and intermittent working and not working keyboards are even more unlikely.
That being said, excuse the stupid question... You are making sure the system is completely powered down and the board drained before swapping ps2 keyboards right? The system board needs to be drained when swapping ps2, and forgive me if you already knew that.
If you swapped them from complete off and still have same problem, I would greatly suspect the ps2 port on the board.
This can pose an even greater issue, as a lot of boards with ps2 ports don't like to recognize usb keyboards during boot cycle. So if you try a usb keyboard and can't get a response, try it in every single usb slot you have.
I hope if you are still working on this, that it was helpful.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

You are making sure the system is completely powered down and the board drained before swapping ps2 keyboards right?

No. I never even thought to power down and reboot to tell the truth. At this time the project is on hold. I'll try that later and see if that makes a difference.

This is a very old computer that at one time obviously had W2K installed (as displayed on the sticker found on top of the tower). I use it for experimental purposes when I am helping others, so for me it is very important for it to be fully functional.

I'll let you know if that resolves the issue.

Thank you Cotutor! :cool:

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
@ Cotutor,

Shutting down and rebooting still produced no joy. Still unable to navigate with arrow keys to choose any option in the WAO menu. Start Windows Normally is chosen though pressing Enter key does not work to boot into Windows normally. I have to press the power button to get out of the WAO menu and boot to normal mode.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Tried restoring the Bios back to default yet?

Also if you are able to boot into normal mode then perhaps a bios flash would be in order here but there are apparent risk when updating the bios as I am sure that you know.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hey rockmilk! (waves)

No. Haven't tried that yet. Never even thought about that to tell the truth.

perhaps a bios flash would be in order here but there are apparent risk when updating the bios as I am sure that you know.

So I've read.... Will you help guide me, please? What do I need to know? Something about the processor if I remember correctly. Right?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
To get your bios version perhaps it will be located at your manufacture's website.
Also you can use a program such as speccy to get the bios version and then google search for it.

http://www.techrepub...g-your-bios/357

The link above tell's you all that you need to know I could take bits of it and copy and paste here but you a smart person and I am sure that you will read all of this.

Basically make sure get the Correct bios Version for your machine and do not interrupt it when the install is running.

Else you will have a nice door stop.

Edit: I would try re setting to default first.
http://pcsupport.abo...p/clearcmos.htm

Edited by rockmilk, 07 July 2013 - 12:52 PM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm? Ok, thanks! I'll need some time to review the links. :thumbsup: :ph34r: