Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no repair or recovery discs to fix laptop

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
can an asus laptop running windows 7/64 be rebooted without a recovery disks. After many warnings from me to copy the recovery disks, to my cousin. He now has rebooting problem. the laptop asks to "reboot/select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device" can I use my repair disk in his laptop?

any suggestions is appreciated

Edited by rigs, 16 June 2013 - 09:54 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello rigs

Check for a recovery partition http://support.asus....3Sw&os=&no=1775

Whether or not you could use your OS DVD to repair the present installation on the notebook depends on what type of disk you have as in a full retail, an OEM, a back up of your own system or a downloaded ISO, it would also need to be the correct 32 or 64-bit and hierarchy ie both Home Premium or your version a superior type such as Ultimate.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
ok, we did what was instructed in the link you posted. however, when pressing f9, I did not get a set up window but a "set up utlity" window. I tried three times with the same results. so. I'm thinking that his computer may not be partioned. if it's not, can I still find a way to fix this problem?

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
See if the following steps that I found help;

ASUS netbooks have a Boot Booster which renders all activity obsolete, you need to disable the boot booster first.

First you need to access the BIOS/Setup Utility, on an ASUS machine/Motherboard you need to hit "Del" or "F2" not F9 at this stage.

Once in the Setup Utility, using your arrow keys navigate to the Boot options page. Using down arrow key navigate to Boot Booster option and hit Enter to disable. Once the option is disabled navigate to the last tab Exit, and using down arrow key to navigate to Exit and Save Changes.

Your laptop will then reboot and as soon as it does you may start to hit "F9" which will start the Factory Settings utility. You can then follow the on screen instructions to continue wit the resetting of your machine.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
my apologies for takiing a while to reply. My cousin has just informed me, that he found his recovery disks. I guess, he did do a system back up. hopefully he'll know how to do the recovery.

anyways, thanks for all your help........

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No worries, thanks for the follow up - you are welcome BTW rigs :thumbsup: