Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bad Windows Update Re-direction

• Please log in to reply

CharlesP

CharlesP

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It started with an unused laptop. Hadn't turned on for a few years and started it up to try and use it some. Windows Update would not work, and searching "Windows Update" and clicking on the link (windowsupdate.microsoft.com) brought up this picture:

Posted Image

After a while, I hopped on my desktop computer and tried the same thing. Although it seems Windows Update is working on my desktop, searching "Windows Update" and clicking the link from Microsoft brings up the above image as well.

Malwarebytes, MSE and Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool seem to run but none have fixed the problem. It seems odd to me that both computers do this same thing. I recently received a new credit card as my bank was told my old one may be compromised. Something seems fishy here...

Any help? I've searched the web and it seems a few people were having this problem around 2009 but I haven't found any real answers. Thanks!

Advertisements

CharlesP

CharlesP

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Also, I found that some were having this problem around 2009, and many thought the computers had been hacked. One poster said the fix involved deleting some registry keys (he said may times hackers will reference Mozilla something or other) but I didn't see any of the things he mentioned; however, another poster suggested checking your "user agent string" by typing javascript:navigator.userAgent into IE. Mine says this:

Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0; Windows NT 6.1; Trident/6.0)