Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confirmed Yontoo and Possible Other Infection [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Hi Velarie :)

Here we go........wait for it........ Your System is now clean.

All we have to do now, is create a clean Restore point and get rid off the old ones (where all your problems are). Then clean up the tools we used - The Hammer, the Gravy and the Awesome sauce.

Dustpan and Brush

1. Create Restore Point and Remove OTL
  • Right click OTL and Run as Administrator
  • Copy the entire text in the Quote box below, do not include the word QUOTE and Paste into the Custom Scans/Fixes box in OTL.

:FILES
    c:\MATS
    c:\users\owner\AppData\Local\temp\MATS-temp
    c:\windows\CheckSur
    c:\JRT
    :COMMANDS
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]

• Then click Run Fix
  • When complete a log file will tell you if sucessfull. I do not need to see this.
  • Now click the CleanUp button on OTL. This will delete the log files, and OTL itself.
  • Click O.K to Reboot.

2. Flush Old System Restore Points
  • Click on Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> right-click on Disk Cleanup and select Run as Administrator.
  • If prompted Select the system drive, C then OK.
  • Ensure the boxes for Recycle Bin, Temporary Files and Temporary Internet Files are checked.
  • Now click on the More Options tab. If not shown - Click on Clean up system files >> Select the system drive, C then OK. now click More Options Tab.
  • Under:- System Restore and Shadow Copies Click on Clean up... select Delete >> OK then Delete Files.

3. Uninstall ADWcleaner
  • Open ADWcleaner and select uninstall.

4. Delete JRT icons
  • Right click the Junkware Removal Tool Icon and select Delete

5. Delete Security Check Icon
  • Right click the Security Check Icon and select Delete

6. Uninstall ESET
  • Click Start then Control Panel and select Uninstall a program or Programs and Features
  • Select ESET Online Scanner and uninstall

7. .BAT File and Result
  • Right click and select delete for both nutlook and nutfix text files on your Desktop,

8. Microsoft Fixit
  • Right click the fixit icon and select delete

9. CheckSur
  • Right click the CheckSur icon and select delete

Tips For A Clean Surf with Toolbar and Hijacked Homepage free waves

LogMeIn

LogMeIn looks fine to me, I had a hard time trying to find complaints. Nothing is 100% secure, but you can make it harder for the bad guys:

Keep the program updated along with all the other updates we've discussed e.g Java for your friend, that's if they even realise it's switched off he, he.

A strong password is also needed. A long password (more than 8 letters) with a mixture of uppercase, lowercase, numbers and chracters is strong.

For Example: 2velariesINMYphoto!#! is strong.

Malwarebytes

This is a great program, yes it can have download issues dependant on where the download is from. The link I provide is from Bleeping Computer, a site I trust. Staff from Bleeping Computer help out here and vice versa.

Here is a link to the page. Malwarebytes at Bleeping Computer Click the blue Download @Bleeping Computer button. If offering to other people, mind you inform them not to start a free trial as this is Realtime Protection which may cause conflicts with other AV's. We offer it here for users to update and run a scan once a week. Once a month you could use ESET online scanner as well. It's a great combination of scans that we use here.

If you know your computer is infected and you run a MBAM scan which reveals nothing, then this is because it doesn't look for that infection or the infection is new or updated. Which is why we use a combination of tools here, depending on what we find in the logs and from information given by yourself.

Throwing a bunch of scans and fixes at a machine could be disatrous if you don't know how the infection works. The training given here is thorough and detailed, it has to be as the bad guys are always 1 step ahead. We fix it, they change it.

You could have the best security in the world and still get hacked. Safe searching is a relatively easy thing once a good System foundation is in place:

Updates, Updates and then Update some more. Operating System, Antivirus, Java, Adobe etc is your foundation. The rest is down to what you click on, what sites you use and what you download.

Avoid the following
  • Torrent downloaders, Torrent files and Torrent sites. - Otherwise known as P2P. The files are mainly illegal, contain malware and\or adult material. Steer clear of P2P programs and files.
  • Registry Cleaners - They can clean a little too much and remove needed entries. The best thing to do with the registry is leave it be. The Registry is something we learn as part of our training, there is no way i will use one :)
  • PC Performance Boosters. - Programs that promise to speed up your PC. These are useless and\or come packed with Toolbars and other uneeded software that runs in the background causing, you guessed it Performance Issues!
  • Not Checking Install Screens - Dont just click next, next, next and Install when installing programs. Some of the screens may contain Browsers or Toolbars. Check each screen before clicking next.

I will keep this post open for 24 hours if you need assistance. If after that you need help then please start a new Topic in the appropriate forum.

Select the following link and add it to your Favourites or Bookmark for future use. The answers to the majority of PC problems. :wave:

Advertisements

velarie2112

velarie2112

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks for the great tools and advice. This is the most fun I ever had geeking out over computer problems, lol. I can't say thank you enough. You'll be an awesome addition to the GTG staff! :)

Best Regards,
Valerie

Nutloaf

Nutloaf

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,790 posts
Same here Velarie, it was fun and I learned so much. Thank you again for your patience, for sticking with me and for your kind words.

Best Wishes, Nutloaf. :thumbsup:

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.