Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Synchronizing Time on Computer - XP

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 5,959 posts
Hello,

A couple questions, if I may.....

If you synchronize the time on a computer via Control Panel > Date and Time, will that correct the time displayed in the Bios as well?

Under the Internet Time tab there are 3 Servers to choose from:

time.windows.com
time.nist.gov
time-a.nist.gov

Does it matter which Server is chosen?

Thank you,

Donna :)

Advertisements

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
Well I only have time.windows.com in my tab Donna but then again I've never really looked before.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Yes it will automatically change your BIOS time

As for where you get the time from I think it is just a matter of choice since all will work and the default is windows.com (I wonder why haha)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 5,959 posts
Thank you gentlemen,

@ Wolfeymole,

Which version of XP do you have installed? I have XP Pro booted up, though I also have an XP Home Edition, I do not have an extra monitor to connect it to so I can verify this next question.

Is there no drop down arrow to the right of time.windows.com for you to choose another time server?

Just wondering if it due to the version of XP.

@ Alzeimer,

As for where you get the time from I think it is just a matter of choice since all will work and the default is windows.com (I wonder why haha)

Hm. Matter of choice. I am wondering that as well. I know it is important to have time and date synchronized for the purpose of receiving WU's (please correct me if I am wrong), so wouldn't it be best to synchronize with time.windows.com?

:happy:

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
http://www.tldp.org/...-HOWTO/ntp.html

Go there if you wanna read on how to have Accurate Global Time Synchronization for your computers

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts
I don't have XP Donna as I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 5,959 posts
Ahhh. Okey doke Wolfey :thumbsup:

Thank you for the link Alzeimer. Very educational reading! :happy:

;)

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 3,911 posts
Hey Donna,
I never got consistent results from any of those that come stock with Windows, I have been using the pool.ntp.org servers ever since the US naval observatory discouraged us from using their time servers.

For you and me it would be:
us.pool.ntp.org but I suppose you could also use north-america.pool.ntp.org

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

Hm. Matter of choice. I am wondering that as well. I know it is important to have time and date synchronized for the purpose of receiving WU's (please correct me if I am wrong), so wouldn't it be best to synchronize with time.windows.com?

Its better to synchronize from a server near your location to get faster results.

In my country we have a Governmental Institution responsible for the Legal Hour and they provide ntp servers we can use.