Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Beeping noise even with pc turned off

• Please log in to reply

delef38

delef38

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,
During the past 4-5 days I've been hearing a single beeping noise from my pc which at first repeated itself every 5 minutes and now about every 3&1/2 minutes. This beeping noise kept on even when I unplugged the power cord from my pc.
I've never experienced something like this before, so I would appreciate any help.

Regards,
Dimitris

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello delef38

Do you happen to have any other devices near the computer that could be causing this, cordless/wireless telephones, wireless doorbell or any other such device/s!

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

delef38

delef38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello Phill and thanks for replying,
There are no cordless/wireless devices near the computer, except a wireless Logitech mouse.
My pc is a custom built desktop with the following features:
Windows 7 Professional (x64) Service Pack 1
Intel Core i3-2100 3,10Ghz
M/B: ASUS P8H67
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
4GB Memory

Is there any other information that could be helpful to you?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello delef38 and thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Do you happen to know the brand and model name or number of the PSU, the same for your system speakers may also help.

As the beeps are still present when the power cord is removed it suggests that there is a certain amount of residual current remaining which is enough to generate the beeps.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup:

delef38

delef38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
PSU : Corsair CX430
Speakers : Klipsch ProMedia GMX A-2.1

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update delef38 :thumbsup:

Can I ask whether the computer has been moved or knocked previous to this starting or whether you had been inside the case possibly for cleaning purposes, the beeps could be caused by the chassis intrusion switch.

I did note BTW that you said the beeps were from the PC and not your speakers and that is why we are looking at the PC first.

Good brand of PSU which has enough output for your hardware but we should still check the PSU output and system temps;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

delef38

delef38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I haven't opened, moved or knocked the case and the beeps are not from the speakers.
BTW, a friend of mine suggested that I should try removing the M/B battery, so as to observe whether the beeps will continue...is there any point in that suggestion?

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan output.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
The Speedfan results show your CPU temps to be high and the PSU voltages are not right.

The safe footprint for the CPU is 69.1 http://ark.intel.com...-Cache-3_10-GHz)

Turn off the computer and let it cool down, restart the computer, go into the BIOS and restore the MBs default factory settings, save and exit.

Run HWMonitor and provide a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

delef38

delef38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I am sorry Phill, but, due to my ignorance, can you be more specific...''go into the BIOS and restore the MBs default factory settings, save and exit.''
Furthermore, how long should I let it cool down?

Edited by delef38, 18 June 2013 - 09:04 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No need to apologise delef38 as I omitted adding to my last reply "let us know if you require assistance with this" :blush: sorry for that.

Not all computers use the same key for accessing the BIOS so you may need to restart the computer a couple of times to find the correct key, common keys used are F2, Esc and Del, please see http://www.computerh...es/ch000976.htm

I suggest letting it cool for at least 10 minutes and better still if you have a desktop fan take off the side of the case and direct cool air off the fan directly but not too closely into the case.

Advertisements

delef38

delef38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks Phill...and how will I restore the MBs default factory settings :blush: ?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome delef38 :thumbsup:

Please see attachment;

delef38

delef38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Done...

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUID.jpeg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Were all suggestions completed.

Your CPU temps are still too high and we are still not getting all of the voltage readings that we need so we must try something else;

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/
Open it.
1: In the left panel expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In the upper menu go to Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

delef38

delef38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I get a blank page, when I select Sensor!

Attached Files