Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet doesn't work in Vista but works in Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

misslasvegas

misslasvegas

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a problem with my laptop and I hope someone can help.
I have ubuntu on one partition and Vista on the other. Now since a few weeks, I can't get on the internet anymore with Vista. I read an older post on here yesterday and tried the following:
In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Now, the flush was successful but when I typed release, it told me that it can't perform this since I am not connected to any media. What else can I do, besides re-installing Vista?

I hope someone can help.
Thanks so much.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: misslasvegas

Possibly a Windows driver issue!

When you are using Vista have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red X against the Network Adapters icon.

What is the brand and model name or number of the notebook.

misslasvegas

misslasvegas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello Phill,
Thanks for your reply. I checked but there are no yellow or red x.
The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P300D-110

It's driving me mad :angry: because now I have 2 computers that are not working the way they should
:confused:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hello misslasvegas

Can you recall if any updates were installed just before this happened, if you are unsure you can check the Windows update history.

Check for a system restore point that is before the date that the issue started http://windows.micro...-system-restore

misslasvegas

misslasvegas

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Good morning Phillpower2,

Thanks again. I've done everything that was mentioned on the link you provided.
However, when I check the dates, it doesn't go further than the 16th of this month.
The date where the problem started was around the 9th of May.
The last update performed was on the 8th of May...so you definitely have something there.
I didn't think much of it at first because I was changing internet providers on the 13th, so I figured they cut me off before the due date.
That weekend though, I brought my computer to a friends' house and it would not connect to the internet there either. When I came home, I tried my other computer and this one connected just fine...And as said before, with the same computer, it connects perfectly fine in Ubuntu, just not in Vista. Is it possible that I don't get any older restore points because I logged in using Ubuntu?
Thanks so much for your help. It is really appreciated because I would not be able to figure this out myself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Good morning misslasvegas

Can I ask how you are trying to connect to the internet as in wireless or an Ethernet cable plugged into the notebook.
If wireless have you enabled the device in the network and sharing centre where you are asked to enter the network key and password (WEP/WPA and SSID)
What were the updates installed on the 8th please.

If you have a USB memory stick you can check for the correct Windows drivers http://support.toshiba.com/drivers

Some troubleshooting tips http://forums.toshib..._network&q=P300

If you have been consistently logging in and using Ubuntu then Windows may have been unable to update.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: