Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

any comments from Biostar Z77x or Msi Z77a GD65?

• Please log in to reply

jimbimbo

jimbimbo

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello everyone help please! I play Battlefield and Crysis 2 I wanna upgrade my motherboard soon as I get more recommendations. cheaper the better but i will not compromise on best Audio quality as I am a real audiophile. My budget is 250$.

currently I am using H87M-G43 and i really wanna replace it soon. and from above mentioned my options are Biostar Z77x or Msi Z77a GD65

please say any recommendations i would be glad to hear it.Thank you guys!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: jimbimbo

currently I am using H87M-G43 and i really wanna replace it soon. and from above mentioned my options are Biostar Z77x or Msi Z77a GD65

Your present MB is the LGA 1150 platform and the proposed replacements are the LGA 1155 type are you aware of this.
What CPU do you presently have.

Present MB, http://www.msi.com/p...tml#/?div=Basic
Selection of possible replacements;
http://www.biostar.c...p?S_ID=608#spec
http://uk.msi.com/pr...tml#?div=Detail

Some guidance http://www.cpu-world...LGA1150_H3.html

Compatible sockets

There are no sockets, compatible with the LGA1150. Notably, LGA1155 processors will not fit into socket 1150, and vice versa. However, fan/heatsinkls, designed for sockets 1155 and 1156, can be used with the LGA1150.

jimbimbo

jimbimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for your answer. I did not really see that. Thanks for the hint! I just checked again and my processor is LGA 1150.

Both boards sound nice. Does anybody have some experience with them?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Thank you for your answer. I did not really see that. Thanks for the hint! I just checked again and my processor is LGA 1150.

Both boards sound nice. Does anybody have some experience with them?

Sorry but neither of the two MBs are compatible with your present CPU as they are socket LGA1155 and your CPU is LGA1150 and that is why I asked you to confirm the CPU type that you presently have.

If you would like some MB upgrade suggestions for the LGA1150 CPU let us know your maximum budget and the type of case that you have so that we can make sure than any MBs suggested will fit in the case, sizes of case include full tower, mid tower and (SFF) small form factor, your present MB is the mATX (microATX) and these are often used in SFF cases so knowing your case size is vital to getting suggestions correct.

jimbimbo

jimbimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
haizzz... thats really a big mess :D

thanks for your help so far. I am having a micro ATX case already which is quite small. I would not like to switch that for no good reason.

the current system is not working anymore. after putting power i can only hear the fan of the power supply but the board remains dead. no light or beep =(

my budget would be max 200 dollars. my graphics unit is evga gt 520.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
The first thing that I suggest that you do is establish that it is your MB that has failed and not another component such as the CPU or PSU, see my canned text below;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

If you would like some help with troubleshooting let us know.

jimbimbo

jimbimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
oh my, how can i find that out then? i just disconnected all other components including graphics card and so on. there is no beep or anything from the board? Is there a chance that it is the psu at this situation? :(

i just ordered the biostar motherboard now. when it is delivered i will see if it works with that or not. sadly i dont have an option to exchange any components. In worst case i will add another power supply to the order too =(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Does the computer normally emit a single beep when it does boot up.

$200 would allow for a quality brand PSU and MB BTW.

jimbimbo

jimbimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello again, sorry for the long break, i was away from the PC for a while :/

The motherboard does not do any beep. I just tried to start again after it a "rest" for the last weeks. The bad news is, it is not working. :(

i am thinking about getting a new board the coming week. The problem really annoys me and i want to have it fixed finally.

I really appreciate your help but i feel tired of digging for any possible mistake. i just wanna make it work again for the next years :)

The local PC store nearby just told me about a summer sale for some biostar boards. He say he sells them a lot and is confident that it would be a good choice. Anyway I know he is a salesman so i would be glad about some helpful thoughts :)

Secondly: what would be a good powersupply? do you really think i will need one?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
No problem as we all have other things going on and so cannot always be around :thumbsup:

The motherboard does not do any beep.

Please clarify as in did the MB normally emit a single beep when it booted up successfully or has it never beeped.

Regarding replacing the MB please refer back to my reply #6 as it needs to be confirmed that it is the MB that is bad.

The first thing that I suggest that you do is establish that it is your MB that has failed and not another component such as the CPU or PSU, see my canned text below;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

jimbimbo

jimbimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
haha, one more week over. i think i better kill myself :P

the board is not doing any beep at all. it took me a while to figure out because i had to find the cable to connect the speaker first :/

anyway, is it wise to change the MB and the power supply just together?

regarding the motherboard, the Biostar Z87X is LGA1150. It could be a good option as it has the same audio features like the Z77. What do you think about that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
As per my reply #6

The first thing that I suggest that you do is establish that it is your MB that has failed and not another component such as the CPU or PSU

the board is not doing any beep at all. it took me a while to figure out because i had to find the cable to connect the speaker first

What type of speaker did you use and where did you connect it to, no beep when a BIOS speaker is correctly attached suggests a bad power supply and then a bad MB.

Is the speaker that you have the same as in the attachment below?
Also worth trying is clearing the CMOS by removing the MBs CR2032 battery for a while and then replacing it, see second attachment below.

jimbimbo

jimbimbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hey phillpower2, thanks for your helpful answers. it really helps a lot!

anyway, i used exactly a speaker like you are showing. it was deep down in my techy bag, but there is no beep at all. removing the battery for almost 5 minutes also did not do any effect on the system. :(

i am losing hope and patience :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 11:09 PM
i just ordered the biostar motherboard now.

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:07 PM
i am thinking about getting a new board the coming week.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:55 PM
haha, one more week over. i think i better kill myself :P
anyway, is it wise to change the MB and the power supply just together?

Sorry but I for one do not have any idea whether or not we are dealing with the original MB here :whistling: