Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install java

• Please log in to reply

Bobperson

Bobperson

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have a Dell xps 400 running xp Home. Java has not been able to install. I found an old thread on this site that had a solution for my problem. This persons problem was exactly like mine, same error. http://www.geekstogo...t-install-java/
if you go to the second page of that link you will see they found a solution by creating a new account. I did the same but when I was on the new account and tried to install java but it gave me a new error GetDefaultBrowserError: 2. I do not know what to do most people who get this can still install java so nobody really cares about.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:welcome:
Java has been very unstable lately and most people are not even running it. If you want to still try to install it you can attempt the following.

Please download JavaRa from the link in my signature below to your desktop and unzip it to its own folder
  • * Run JavaRa.exe, pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then click Remove Older Versions.
    * Accept any prompts.
    * Open JavaRa.exe again and select Search For Updates.
    * Select Update Using Sun Java's Website then click Search and click on the Open Webpage button.
  • Download and install the latest Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version for your computer.

http://sourceforge.n...ft&words=javara

Java Download Link
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I still get the Browserlauncherror 87. I also tried the same thing on the other account and I still get the get default browser error 2.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Which browser are you using?

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have tried both Chrome and IE

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you need Java at all? Most are uninstalling it and then disabling it in their browsers. Doesn't seem to hurt anything unless you go to sites that are Java dependent.

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yeah I have Minecraft and it has not been working for a couple of months because of this. since I paid for it I want it to be working like it once was.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then we go through the steps to find the culprit. First is the system files to make sure nothing is corrupted with the settings.

SFC /Scannow Fix Windows

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
The SFC did not find any errors.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I just thought of something. What SP do you have installed right now?

Advertisements

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
If you are talking about Service Pack then I do not no the one I have. It is probably the latest one from 2008 since java was working after 2008. But idk.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
System: Microsoft Windows XP, Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.
Computer: Intel®, Pentium® D CPU 2.80GHz, 2.79 GHz, 2.25 GB of RAM, Physical Address Extension.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it's not a up to date Sp issue then. Then in IE try the following.

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8 and this should work for later versions as well.

1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

If this doesn't work then we will check the preferences to make sure Java is enabled in the browser.

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
That did not seem to work. I still get the errors.