Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't install java

• Please log in to reply

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I am going on vacation for a week and I will be away from my desktop. Reply with the preferences idea and I will try it when I return home. If that does not work then some of my friends and I were talking about backing up my important files and resetting my computer. I will probably try to come back to this forum before I do that. Thank you so much rshaffer61 for helping me try to find a solution, you were a big help during all this.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then do you know what version of IE you have?

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
IE 8

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this HERE to reset IE back to default settings.

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
After resetting I still get the error.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try this and see if it will work. It is a fix from Microsoft to fix programs that will not install or uninstall. Once done then try to install Java again. It is located HERE

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
When I tried running the installer it told me I needed Microsoft .Net framework. When I tried installing that the installation would never finish, it would just stop and I would wait for a couple hours but it never moved forward so I would have to exit.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK do you have all your Microsoft Security updates current? Is your Windows updates set to automatic to download and install or do you have to manually install them?

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
yeah I checked and everything is up to date and I have auto update.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried to run javara in Safe Mode?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I found this on another forum I help on and it seems it has helped a lot of people with this issue. There seems to be a issue with the Windows Installer Utility that has corrupted the uninstall part of the Java. You want to get the fix in the red lettering to resolve the issue.

If you have been having problems with Java, and you have followed some of the instructions on the forums you may find that you no longer can get Java to install because of an error.

When you attempt to run the java installer file you receive the message:

This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?

When you click Yes to the above question you receive the error:

This action is only valid for products that are currently installed.

This problem is caused because the Windows Installer information for a previous installation of Java has been removed or damaged, but the related registry keys are still present causing the Java installer to think it is already installed.

This problem can be caused if you used the "Windows Installer Cleanup Utility" to remove the Java™ entries without first uninstalling Java properly.

To fix this problem you must remove the two places in the registry that the Java installer looks at in order to determine if it is already installed. By removing these entries, the Java installer will begin a new installation instead of attempting to repair the old corrupt installation.

Updated Jan. 22, 2011 -- Created an automatic fix in executable form.

Please download and run this automated tool to fix the Java MSI problem on all versions of windows: JavaMSIFix

NOTE: The batch file method listed below no longer works on Windows XP in many circumstances due to a limitation in command line parameters supported by Windows XP.

Updated Feb. 26th, 2010 -- Created a universal fix for all versions of Java 6

*** Please use the automated executable listed above instead of this batch file. ***

This problem is confirmed in Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7.

Because the registry keys that need to be removed are different for each version of Java, I have created a batch file you can download to find and remove the entries automatically.

Here's how to fix Java:
  • If you are able, uninstall all previous versions of Java in add/remove programs in your control panel.
  • Next, you may download the current version of Java here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
    I recommend that you use the offline installer version.
  • Now, download the fix:[attachment=7137:fixjava.zip]

Open the fixjava.zip file, extract and run the file fixjava.bat . If you are using Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you must right-click the fixjava.bat file and choose "Run As Administrator". If you do not see the run as administrator option, drag the fixjava.bat file to your desktop and then try to run as administrator from there.
    The batch file will run briefly without confirmation.

• You may now install Java without any errors about it already being installed.

The contents of the batch file are listed below:
reg query hklm\software\classes\installer\products /f "java(tm) 6" /s | find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" > deljava.txt
for /f "tokens=* delims= " %%a in (deljava.txt) do reg delete %%a /f
del deljava.txt
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment" /f
reg delete "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\wow6432node\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment" /f

This fix will work on Windows XP under certain cirumstances, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Java 6 runtime environment.

If you have any further issues please post a reply in this thread.

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I did not realize I still had two versions of java still in my ad or remove, I thought I had deleted them. The fix program took out the older one, java 5, but my computer still sees the newer one java 7 as still there. When running the program you provided again gives me an unknown error 87 and the java 7 is still there. And now when I try to download java online or offline the installer downloads but does not open when I run it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see one of the links is not valid so I am including it HERE
This is the following instructions for the link above.

Here's how to fix Java:

If you are able, uninstall all previous versions of Java in add/remove programs in your control panel.
Next, you may download the current version of Java here: http://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
I recommend that you use the offline installer version.
Now, download the fix:[attachment=7137:fixjava.zip]
Open the fixjava.zip file, extract and run the file fixjava.bat . If you are using Windows Vista, or Windows 7 you must right-click the fixjava.bat file and choose "Run As Administrator". If you do not see the run as administrator option, drag the fixjava.bat file to your desktop and then try to run as administrator from there.
The batch file will run briefly without confirmation.

You may now install Java without any errors about it already being installed.

Bobperson

Bobperson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
It just gave me a note pad called VundoFix.txt that shows some scan from 2006. It did not take out the java 7 or make me able to install java.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets go back to the javara then and try that again. Since it did take something out on post 27 so maybe now javara can make sure you have the newest version.