Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer with trouble starting

• Please log in to reply

Gaberial

Gaberial

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello, My Favorite Geeks in all the web! Yall have helped me in the past on many occasions with trouble shooting and hopefully yall can help me again! (ok enough brown nosing lol)

My computer this morning has started having a problem I thought I had corrected and wanted to confer with you guys and hopefully find the solution before any major problems (and damage) occur to my PC. The issue is this, I go to bed last night the computer is running beautifully, Then the next morning out of nowhere I go to turn on the computer, the lights in my case turn on, case fans, and CPU fan start spinning, then it shuts off for a couple seconds, and repeats. I cannot stop the loop short of turning off the PSU. I didnt have enough time to do a lot of trouble shooting before work but I did unplug a few things, my speakers, my external HD and my Game Pad. Then had to go to work. I get home from work and decide to take a chance, with all those unplugged and turn on the computer. It booted as normal.

Now the thing is, about 9 months ago I had this exact problem before and thought I had determined it was the PSU starting to weaken, so I pulled 2 of my 3 GPUs from the system since for my needs it was more of a gloating factor then an actual need for super HD capabilities. It ran find after that till this morning, where it started happening again. The thing I hope to get some help with is, is this the way a computer normally reacts when a PSU is about to bite the dust? is there other trouble shooting I can do to help determine the most likely cause? I hope to do this without causing any extra stress on the components as replacing something like the CPU if it took to much strain from an under performing PSU would be very difficult for me at this time. I could afford a new PSU but Im not sure about replacing my I7 Processor right now, since that's like 3x more cash lol.

Current system specs

CPU: I7 960
Mobo Asus Rampgage III Formula
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 550 TI
Ram: Ripjaws 6x4 DDR3
HDD: WD Caviar Green 7200 RPM(yeah I know its old lol)
PSU Corsair TX750 Watt

If there is more Information that might help, please let me know, will provide.

Thanks again guys! yall are awesome!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday Gaberial.
As the computer is not actually crashing, but appears to be in a start up loop, software rather than hardware may be the problem.
We should start with a system repair. Backup important DATA first, just in case you need to reinstall the OS. Double check your instruction in the command window Please read first and then perform the steps in this tutorial and then post back the results.
> http://www.makeuseof...te-reboot-loop/

Edit.
Came across this copy of the article where someone has added a video, gives you a better visual understanding of the steps. > http://www.avoiderro...te-reboot-loop/

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
will check that out but i might add that the computer never even makes it to bios when it goes into a boot loop. its literally no more then a couple seconds after pressing the power button.

Edited by Gaberial, 22 June 2013 - 08:27 PM.

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Gday Gaberial.
As the computer is not actually crashing, but appears to be in a start up loop, software rather than hardware may be the problem.
We should start with a system repair. Backup important DATA first, just in case you need to reinstall the OS. Double check your instruction in the command window Please read first and then perform the steps in this tutorial and then post back the results.
> http://www.makeuseof...te-reboot-loop/

Edit.
Came across this copy of the article where someone has added a video, gives you a better visual understanding of the steps. > http://www.avoiderro...te-reboot-loop/

ok ran windows repair, the only noticable change at the moment (since the computer is booting at the moment) was it for some reason corrupted google chrome so i had to re install lol

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update.
Looks like the repair may have altered Chrome Reg values.
Did you manage to reinstall Chrome OK?
Have you got rid of the restart loop and is the computer runner OK now?

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Gday.
Thanks for the update.
Looks like the repair may have altered Chrome Reg values.
Did you manage to reinstall Chrome OK?
Have you got rid of the restart loop and is the computer runner OK now?

It didn't change anything, i re installed chrome just fine.

update on the troubleshooting. The computer is stable until I start up a program that stresses my GPUs. Its the exact same problem I had 9 months ago. At the time I simply pulled 2 of my 3 GPUs and have been running just a single GPU since then. it required me to play my games on lower graphic settings but At least it was stable. right now, it only seems to happen when I log into an MMO or something and after an hour or so the computer reboots itself. Its word for word what happened last time like I said. My best guess is the Nividia 550Ti cards I have are power hungry little buggers when I push them to any extent. I played simple flash games and watched Netflix with no problem all day yesterday. Logged into one of my MMOs and sure enough 45 minutes in the computer rebooted in the same fashion I was expecting. So I ordered a new PSU

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341053

Seemed a good choice, and was able to get it pretty cheap. And should give me enough juice to put my GPUs and even room to upgrade. Was considering getting a new PSU for a while anyway cause Someone gave me a Frio OCK (brand new, the guy didn't realize it was so big but I have an Antec DF-85 case) But was afraid to install it given my previous issues lol. I dont actually intend to OC my CPU but After long periods of gaming I have once or twice gotten over heating warnings during reboots right afterwards.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835106178

Thank yall for your patience. You guys are awesome. As always if there is something else Yall think might be causing it let me know, will test it and get back to yall.

Edited by Gaberial, 23 June 2013 - 10:41 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
Thanks for the update.
Next would have been volts/temps investigation, now not needed.
The PSU would do very nicely.
Cooler, just so you know, is 3 pin not PWM, Also check clearance under the cooler for the RAM you have installed.

Tips.
Do not use Beta drivers or software that messes about with the Registry.
Turn off unnecessary programs that start with windows like Office, printers, media players etc. I only start firewall, Anti Virus, all other start as needed. I run one browser with one search engine. All Auto Updaters off, except security software.

Look forward to your test results.

You are welcome Gaberial

Gaberial

Gaberial

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Alright the PSU is in, set everything up and after a couple days of testing not a single random reboot! Thank yall for the help!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Great news, congratulations, Posted Image

Thank you for updating your Topic.

Good luck for the future.