Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer restarting suddenly during games

• Please log in to reply

mjohnson312

mjohnson312

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi! I've been having an issue for awhile, but I haven't gotten any concrete ideas for what I should do, I'll detail it more below.

So I build my rig about 2 years ago, and for the last 6 months it's been having an issue where it reboots during video games if I play them for over an hour (sometimes it takes several hours for this to happen). The screen immediately goes black during these reboots (windows does not do it's usual shut down process), and then restarts. Lately my computer has even been entering a cycle of reboots when this happens, it will reboot again sometime before the loading windows screen appears, and continue to do this until I shut the machine off for at least 10 minutes.

There are 2 other situations where my computer reboots as well.

One of them is when I plug the computer into my television using an HDMI cord. After about 30 minutes of playing a movie the computer will force reboot as previously described. My computer does not restart like this when playing videos using my monitor instead.

The other situation my computer restarts is when it goes into sleep mode, again it's exactly the same kind of reboot - though this won't enter the reboot cycle the other 2 scenarios have.

Here are the common errors in the event viewer after these restarts:
" Reason : Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.
Diagnosis : A consistent degradation in frame rate for the Desktop Window Manager was observed over a period of time."

and
"The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention.
Scenario : The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded."

Here are the details of my machine.
GPU: GeForce GTX 560
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2400 CPU @ 3.10GHz
Memory: 7.98GB RAM
Motherboard: ASRock P67 Extreme 4

I'm using 2 monitors, one is a 24" 1920 by 1080 resolution monitor, the 2nd monitor is 1280 x 1024
My TV is 32"

I thought it might be a heat issue, but I find it strange that my computer only started doing this recently. I have cleaned the computer out with canned air, so it shouldn't be dust blocking the fans.
Anything you might think it would be could be a great benefit! Not sure if I need to replace a part, or if the problem is simpler than that (I hope it is!).
I've been told it might be an issue with my power supply, what do you think?

(Very sorry if this is in the wrong forum, I figured this was a hardware related issue)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
:welcome: mjohnson312

Overheating and a flaky PSU can both cause this type of behavior, the PSU being bad is however capable of causing the system to overheat as well.

What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.

mjohnson312

mjohnson312

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Brand: PC Power and Cooling
Model: PPCMK2S750
Series: Silencer Mk II

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
A quality brand and adequate output PSU :thumbsup:

Your video card overheating may be the cause so can you do some gaming 5-10 minutes, run Speedfan and provide a screenshot for us.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

mjohnson312

mjohnson312

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Here is a screencap after a few minutes if being ingame, I can try and push it some more.

Posted Image

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
Thanks for the screenshot :thumbsup:

The temps are not bad but the voltage readings are off and predominantly the +12V rail which powers the video card and other major hardware, there is also no +5V rail reading, run HWMonitor and again provide a screenshot for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Please refer to the attached table below for what the PSU voltages should be;

mjohnson312

mjohnson312

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright, I wasn't running much this time, but here's the screenshot of that.

Posted Image

Edited by mjohnson312, 23 June 2013 - 10:40 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts
The HWMonitor readings are also inconclusive :(

Can you check the readings in the BIOS for us please, there is no need for a picture just make a note of the readings that I have outlined in the attachment below;

Uninstall the testing software as you see fit please.