Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell d630 will run only on battery

• Please log in to reply

Streetman

Streetman

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have just finished another build of a Dell d630, and have run into a problem that I have never seen before. This machine boots and runs flawlessly on battery power, but goes to a black blank screen when I plug a power adapter into it (the computer dose not power off, the screen just goes black. I have tried three different power supplys, and two different batterys, and still no joy!
Are there any suggestions on what to try next?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
:welcome: Streetman

It is a rather odd symptom I agree - possibly related to the DC jack port.

Have you tried connecting the notebook to an external display and if so what happened.

Have you tried the Dell built in self test (BIST) http://support.dell....354&lid=4837645

Streetman

Streetman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Dose not display on external monitor, and Internal Diagnostic showed no problems--

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
What happens if you remove the battery and connect the AC adapter only to power the notebook.

Is the DC jack port securely fixed to the MB.

Streetman

Streetman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
On Ac adapter only-- starts to boot for about 2 or 3 seconds, then goes to black screen, computer seems to continue boot with black screen according to lights, but no video on screen or external monitor.
Dc jack is still firmly attached to motherboard.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
I can only think of a system short which as I am sure you will know are hard to pin down.

Streetman

Streetman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Not having any way to test this board further, I think I'll just replace the board and file this one under "unsolved" until I get bored, and need another headache. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Yes notebooks are more difficult to diagnose and work with, is it possible to remove the screen without fully dismantling the chassis.

Streetman

Streetman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I first got this board, it came to me stripped down to only the motherboard and bottom case. when I started testing to find the problem with this board, I even pulled it out of the bottom case and laid it on a couple of mouse pads with everything plugged into it. Still no joy.
I am supposed to have a replacement board coming.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Most peculiar :unsure:

Good luck with the replacement MB :thumbsup: