Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can`t install backups form old pc to new pc

• Please log in to reply

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
Hi everyone, thanks for taking your time to read this and maybe help me out.
I build my dad a new pc. (yeah I know he is still running xp, i m trying to get him to go with win 7 or 8, we`ll see he changes his mind) anyways, i backed up all his files onto an external drive ( wd my book WDH1CS3200 )... I pluged it in the new pc opened the drive, clicked on the back up, it opened and I chose restore it asked me to choose which back up and there was othing thre. So my first thought is soemthing went wrong, so i plugedit in his old pc tried the same ting and it was all there. I hope I explained my self well, if any one can help please do. Thanks in advance

gandalf

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Is the new computer you built BIOS or UEFI?
Is the hard drive MBR or GPT?

What is the make and model number of the mother board and hard drive?

Gandalf81

Gandalf81

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Is the new computer you built BIOS or UEFI?
Is the hard drive MBR or GPT?

What is the make and model number of the mother board and hard drive?

wow, i had to google half the stuff you asked... im new at this, so please have patience with me.
i belive its a BIOS
as for the hard drive I have two, 1st on is a 128gb samsung 840 pro that for now I have only OS installed, as soon as I get things figured out I will run only programs form there. my second hd is a wd caviar green 1tb, on this I plan on saving all files, also import all old data from old pc.
MOBO is a ASUS P8H77-M LE
thanks for helping me out
gandalf

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Remove the 2nd hard drive, leave just the Samsung SSD. Boot to BIOS setup and load defaults (Fn key or menu selection). Does BIOS see the SSD? If not then Windows will not see it.

What program did you use to create the backup image? How big was the drive it was created from?