Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU temperature

• Please log in to reply

AfroSlover

AfroSlover

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello!
My name is Jacob. I have a Compaq Presario Notebook PC (CQ62-209wm).
I've recently installed a new CPU, AMD Phenom II N660 (3.0Ghz).
Socket S1G4.
Since I installed it, I've been monitoring my CPU temperature. It usually averages around 60C, and today while I was trying to convert a .avi file to an ISO to burn it to a disc, it reached 93C.
I'm pretty sure I applied the thermal paste correctly; I used a dab about the size of a grain of rice and spread it into a thin layer.
(I used Antec Formula 7)
I cleaned the old thermal paste of the heatsink.
I'm pretty sure everything is clean, and I make sure that I do not block the vents.
My fan works fine.
What is a normal, safe CPU temperature?
At what temperature should I be worried about CPU damage?
What is the problem here?
And what can I do to keep my CPU cool?

Advertisements

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
That temp is dangerously high. I think your thermal compound are rather spread too thin. Clean it up again and give it a little more paste.

AfroSlover

AfroSlover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you!
I reapplied the thermal paste, and figured out how to remove the fan from the heatsink and I cleaned that out.
The dust and hair material in the fan probably contributed to the problem, also.
But yes, once I removed the heatsink, I noticed that there was too thin of a layer.

Before, the CPU would reach 55C IMMEDIATELY after booting up and then average around 65C during regular tasks.
Now it was at 40C, and it's averaging at around 45.
(:

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Now that's much better but I'm surprised that you didn't clean the fan/heatsink in the first place. That kinda defeats the purpose of the job.

Shame shame shame. :cool:

AfroSlover

AfroSlover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah.. My fan was tricky, I couldn't figure out how to detach it from the heat sink. There is a multitude of clips and very tiny screws which is why I never cleaned it.
And thinking back on it, my CPU reached it's TJ max twice before.
It's TJ max is 115C...... O.O

Edited by AfroSlover, 24 June 2013 - 10:47 PM.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
It's not really necessary to separate the fan and heatsink. A can of compressed air will do the trick. Just don't let it spin the fan, block the blade with your finger.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Just chiming in with a link for the future reference of AfroSlover and others that may read this thread http://h10025.www1.h...product=3927423

AfroSlover

AfroSlover

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, It sort of was necessary. There are no big openings for any debris to escape and there was a huge clump of dust and hair.

Brazened

Brazened

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ah, that's different. That's pretty bad there.