Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't start.

• Please log in to reply

Larryboy

Larryboy

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello everybody, I hope someone on here can help me out with some advice as I've exhausted my techno expertise trying to solve this problem.

My computer was not working well online so I pressed the reset button on the front and that started the problem. Since then Windows 7 (ultimate) will not start, after starting up I go immediately to the "computer didn't shutdown properly, either start normally or perform system repair" option screen. Starting normally simply brings me back to the same screen, and I have tried all the options for system repair, it cannot detect any problem. I have tried doing a restore to a previous point and all the basic options. I've also tried;

Running a full disc check from Dos, which found no errors
Pressing F8 as it starts and going to "last known good" and that didn't lead to it starting
Opening in safe mode doesn't work
Tried some repair options from an install cd and they couldn't find a fault

There appears to be nothing wrong with the computer itself but somehow Windows has broken down.

That's all I can think to do short of removing Windows then trying to reinstall it which will be a huge disaster for me with everything I'll have to reinstall on the computer, I'm hoping I can avoid this, has anyone got any ideas what may have caused the problem and/or how I could solve it?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: Larryboy

Tried some repair options from an install cd and they couldn't find a fault

What sort of disk and from where was it obtained.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Larryboy

Larryboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for your reply

The computer is a desktop, It's a Zoostorm which I got from e-buyer without an operating system. I don't believe it has a model name as I think they make the Zoostorms just to sell on e-buyer, it's got intel premium, 1TB memory, 8GB ram. The disc I was trying to repair it with was a Windows 7 recovery boot disc 64 bit version, I got it from somewhere like PC world years ago.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome Larryboy :thumbsup:

The disc I was trying to repair it with was a Windows 7 recovery boot disc 64 bit version, I got it from somewhere like PC world years ago.

Is the disk a genuine Microsoft product or is it a third party quick fix disk that ultimately does not work, if not a MS disk can you post a picture so we can see what it is.

As long as you still have the 25 digit COA (product key) for the OS that is installed on your computer you can download a genuine ISO to use @ http://www.w7forums....ads-t12325.html

Larryboy

Larryboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm giving that a try now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:thumbsup:

Larryboy

Larryboy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Consider this case closed, I ran out of patience and decided to re-install windows

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the follow up Larryboy :thumbsup: