Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 I/O error

• Please log in to reply

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok, I'll try that and get back to you, probably tomorrow, it's getting late here in Virginia.

Advertisements

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I got all the way through step 2 with no problems. I inserted the disc into my laptop and it attempted to read it. The following is all I got though, "invalid or corrupt kernel image. boot:".

I then inserted the CD into a working desktop computer to make sure there were files on it and the following is what it includes: boot.cat; boot.msg; help2.msg; help.msg; initrd.g2; isolinux.bin; isolinux.cfg; logo.16; lupu_528.sfs; vmlinuz.

If the purpose of this is to recover data from the hard drive there really isn't anything on it that I need...how should we proceed in order to make it usable again (if at all possible)?

Thanks for your help :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since data is of no important the following steps should get you to the factory recovery partition. It will format the drive and put the system back to how it was brand new.

Toshiba:

To access the recovery partition do the following...

Power off the laptop.
Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.
Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears.
The screen should flash HDD RECOVERY MODE for a second and then it will load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.
Note that this erases all data, and reloads all factory default software.

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Before trying that I went back into the BIOS setup and changed the order back to HD first and then CDROM. I got a different screen upon boot up this time!
As usual, Windows attempted to load the files, I received the I/O error message again at which point I pressed enter. This time after pressing enter though I received the following screen, "choose operating system to start or tab to select tool" with the following 3 options to choose from: "Windows Setup", "press F8 for advanced option" and "Tools: Windows Memory Diagnostic".
I did each one with the following results: After choosing "windows setup", it went through the "windows is loading files" again and back to the "I/O error". I then chose "press F8 for advanced option" and it did the exact same thing. Lastly I selected "tools: windows memory diagnostic" and the following appeared: "windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: 1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer 2. Choose your language setting, and then click "next" 3. Click "repair your computer". If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance. File: \boot\memtest.exe. Status: 0xc000000f. Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

After all the above I did what you had instructed to do last with the same result as the original problem has shown.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So you can't get to Recovery Partition with the instructions I posted?

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
no

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Does it sound like a re-installation of Windows would help?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Basically that is what we were trying to do with the recovery but let me ask do you have recovery disks?

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Unfortunately no, when we purchased it no discs came with it :(

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was it purchased brand new or used?

Advertisements

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Can I use my desktop at home which has Windows 7 to create a recovery disc and then use it in my laptop to re-install (or is that illegal) ?

It was brand new. We bought it in November 2010.

Edited by Angela71, 26 June 2013 - 10:02 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not legal.
Earlier I mentioned contacting Toshiba to purchase a set of Recovery disks. hey should be $30 dollars or less. Have you contacted them or can I find the number for you?

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Ok, good to know, I definitely won't go there! Yes, if you have Toshiba's number I will go that route. Thank you!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK here is the USA and outside USA numbers. Tell them you would like to purchase a set of Recovery disks for your system. They will need the Make and Model number of your laptop to see if the disks are available.

Technical Support: 1-800-457-7777
Support Outside the US: 949-859-4273

Angela71

Angela71

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thank you, I'll make that call now. So, you think once I re-install Windows everything will work again...you still don't think it could be the hard drive? How would Windows crash in the first place?

Also, once I get the discs can I contact you by replying to our last post for help, if needed, or do I need to contact someone brand new?

Thanks for all your help, I appreciate your time!

Edited by Angela71, 26 June 2013 - 10:48 AM.